Monday, June 20, 2016

Late Monday Ramblings

Well, here I am, blogging at the time that I can.  It may be a few days before I can get my morning writing time back, so I will do the best I can when I can.

I was impressed by the success of Senator Chris Murphy's filibuster in getting votes on two important gun regulation measures.  I was crushed by the heartbreaking loss of these measures.  What's it gonna take, America?  Every time I think we're coming to our senses, I find my hopes dashed.

I had thought a terrorist incident might play into Trump's hands, as people respond in instinctive fear.  But he was nasty, and overplayed it grotesquely, and it actually caused him to decline in the polls.  Maybe people are finally waking up.  I hope.

I have launched my paperback on Amazon.  That's the good news.  The bad news is it's coming at a time where I really won't be able to promote for about a week.  So I'm watching it being ignored, with only one sale in three days as I write this.  It plays into my worst fears that when I finally get something in print it will bomb horribly.  I keep saying that the problem that slows me is formatting, and it is a challenge, but the real fear is that I'm not good enough to succeed.

That's probably too honest, but what the heck.  There's no picture with this which will probably minimize the numbers that review or read this anyways.

I will do everything I can to promote this book, and get the next one, Crowley Stories:Swamp's Edge, ready for publication.  So please know that even though I fear rejection or failure, I'm still going to try to put myself out there.  I will do everything within the confines of available time and my personality to give my writings a chance.

And as I have said, I will continue to write regardless.  I enjoy it, and it is in my blood now.  Like someone addicted to an exercise routine, I don't feel comfortable when I don't get to do it.

As I approach retirement, I am concerned how writing can play into the mix.  I'm not going to make enough in retirement to allow me to completely quit - I'm going to have to bring in at least some money doing something else.  I would rather it be in self-employed creative endeavors, but that might not pan out.  Even if I'm great at acting, and above average in writing, I'm LOUSY at self-promotion.  So it's a struggle.

But I will try to make the commitment to give it a chance to work.  We'll see.


-----------

I normally like underdogs in sports (unless it Michigan or Georgia teams), but it was rather disappointing to see a team win as many games as the Golden State Warriors and still fall short of the championship.  But I do take my hat off to the single-minded drive of LeBron James.  And it has been  a long wait for Cleveland.


---------------------

I saw the movie Now You See Me 2.  I am not a big caper movie fan, but I did enjoy it.  Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were  a pleasure to watch.  I am the type that when "magic" happens I'm not trying to figure out "how they did it".  I accept that it's real magic and move on.  So the revealing of how they did it was not the most interesting part of the movie for me.  I give it a 7 out of ten Rippers.

-----------------

That's it for now.

Until I can write again,

T. M. Strait






No comments:

Post a Comment