Thursday, July 14, 2016

Hobbies Under Attack

Proud memes and statements dominating Facebook right now:

Am I the only who's never seen an episode of Game of Thrones?

translation:  this is a stupid show and I'm tired of people talking about it.  I don't like fantasy shows anyways.

Guess who's not playing Pokemon?

translation:  this is a stupid game and I'm tired of people talking about it.  I don't like these kind of apps anyways.

I hate politics.

translation:  I hate politics.  Ok, that one's fairly easy.  It can mean you don't like to see your friends on opposite corners, or you can't stand hearing a diversity of opinion, or you've really abandoned your civic responsibilities.

I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils.

translation:  you really have abandoned your civic responsibility.  Mostly, but not completely, it represents people who are smart enough to know that Trump is a horrible candidate and human being, but cannot bring themselves to vote for Clinton, pretending that she is some kind of evil equivalency.  Some brag about how they're not voting for either one, leaving it blank ,or how they're not going to vote at all.  If you can't bring yourself to vote to stop the greatest political evil this country has faced in a very long time, then at least vote third party - it's a throwaway vote, but it's better than not voting at all.


I could go on and on.  I see more and more memes and content that trash people's hobbies and interests, and also ones that discourage political discourse.  Stop it!  Why not celebrate your own hobbies and interests instead of dissing other people's?

Do I post stuff like this -


Am I the only one who's never seen an episode of NCIS?

Guess who's never gone hunting animals?

I hate gardening.

I refuse to pick a favorite 70s country-rock artist because they all suck.

No.  No, I don't post stuff like that.  I'm not perfect, and my wit is occasionally sarcastic. but I don't create memes and posts meant to belittle people's hobbies and interests.

Trump?

Now, that's a different story.

Like I said, I'm not perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment