Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Wednesday Wanderings Lenten Style



And so another Lenten season begins.

Once again, it comes during tax season.  Funny how that always happens.

Still, I must find a way to give it focus.  Some years I succeed.  Some years I don't.

First is the devotional aspect.  Attending church and increased devotional readings are important. One year, I started a daily reading of the bible, from the beginning, and I just kept reading until the end (end times Revelation style!).  Other years I have started other devotionals or books on religious topics.  But that has been difficult to do as the mornings I used to devote to it are now taken up with writing, and although I could change the nature of what I write, I don't think I could or should give up writing.  Nevertheless, I think I could find a way to sneak in some more devotional reading.

Second is the giving to others aspect.  That is something I definitely need to work on.  I work with Okefenokee Heritage Society, assist with community theater, aid Alison with the Okefenokee Humane Society, give money to the rector's fund.  But I need to do more, and things that directly benefit the poor and disadvantaged.  Political response and advocacy is not enough.

Third is the sacrifice of something.  It could be some combination of food or drink.  I've done that some years.  That's tough to figure out this year, as getting through tax season has me particularly unwilling to give up caffeine, or even cut back more on proteins or sugar.  But I'll keep thinking about it.

Another sacrifice that is becoming more common is to cut back on social media. I've done that before, or tried.  This is a difficult decision to do in the Age of Trump.  More and more I feel like Schindler.  Have I done enough to stand up against the new fascism?  Will I look back at this era with regrets that I did not do enough to stand in opposition to it?

Nevertheless, social media has become quite bleak, and some alteration of how I interact may be warranted.  I'm not quite sure what.  I still will post my Strait Line stories, and my Song of the Day, but I think I will cut back sharing memes and general comments.  Basically, if you want to interact with me, or see my opinions and thoughts, you'll need to see my The Strait Line posts.  If you yourself are cutting back on Social media for Lent, all you have to do is bookmark The Strait Line, and then you won't need Facebook, Twitter or whatever the heck Google One is, in order to connect to my wanderings.  And also my musings, tidbits, autobiographical stories, Saturday Political soap box, family stuff, pets, stories, novel excerpts, poetry and more.  All there by pressing a bookmark! Anyways, I might give that kind of cutting back a try.


As for food, I'm still thinking.  Maybe Brussels sprouts. Well, that might not be fair, considering I NEVER eat Brussels sprouts.

Pancakes, maybe?









No comments:

Post a Comment