Monday, March 27, 2017

Collectively Conned and Other Monday Musings

Benjamin's big moment in the Super Smash Brothers tournament.



Saturday Benjamin and I went to Collective Con in Jacksonville, a convention themed around Science fiction and fantasy TV/movies/comics,  The two major guests were to be two of the young actors from Stranger Things, including the girl that played Eleven.  Both were not there on Saturday, for various reasons.  I'm not much of a celebrity meeter anyways - the intros seem artificial, and I am major league flunker of small talk.

Benjamin had the most fun in the video game room, preparing to participate in a Super Smash Brothers tournament,  His actual tourney was very short, losing in the second round, but he did get to meet and bond with a lot of fellow players. Thank God he's better socially than I am.

I think if I go to more of those I would prefer to have a table and be selling my book(s).  Benjamin could come with me, and help a little, but mostly do more stuff and be more social than me.

---------------------------

Surprise!  TrumpNoCare went down in flames.  The Republicans couldn't decide between their factions that thought they were being too cruel, and those who felt like they weren't being cruel enough. As a consequences, the much maligned and assaulted Obamacare still stands.  For now. Conservatives in Congress and the administration will still do their best to cripple it.  And when they do, it will be interesting to see if the American people blame Obamacare, or the Republicans who are sabotaging it so it doesn't work. 

Meanwhile, Senator Bernie Sanders is introducing single-payer Medicare For All to the Congress.  There is the true solution, and I think what we will inevitably adopt.  The question is how much suffering and angst will there be until we get there?

----------------------------

Tax season is at an uncomfortable stage.  It's not so much about the time, it's about the nature of the work.  Individual returns are always a bit more difficult for me than corporate.  But here we are, and I've just got to barrel through it.

Hard to psych myself up for it.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait










No comments:

Post a Comment