Thursday, March 30, 2017

Oh, The Places We'll Go!

An amazing little library I found in Pasadena, California about two years ago. 


Oh, the places you'll go!

I've always loved libraries.  Spending time with collections of books is in my blood.

My Dad, the high school principal, would take me up to work with him on Saturdays and I would happily spend time in the school library, by myself, alone, roaming through the collected adventures of mankind.  Books of mythology, of history and adventure, of fact and fiction.  I could traverse the whole world in just a few hours.

The most frequently recurring dream I have is that there is a secret stairway in the closet of my home, and that it leads to a large underground library. where I happily roam the stacks until I awake.

In college, I loved exploring the huge multi-floored libraries of the University of Michigan.  I would try to study my assigned school work, but often the pageantry of books would be too much, and my attention would wander.

Later, I was accepted into the School of Library Science at Emory University, but life took me on a different course. I often wonder what things would have been like had I stuck with it.

On a trip to Pasadena, California, to visit with my film editor son, Greg, I saw near the sidewalk of a residential area, a decorated wooden box  labeled "Little Free Library."  Insides it's clear door were books that people were swapping - leave a book, pick a book - expressing the communal joy of reading and sharing.

But that was a California idea, too fancy and artsy for the likes of Georgia.

Or so I thought.



 





Lo and behold!  We now have a Little Library box in Blackshear City Park!  A beautiful box, near the children's playground, soon to be stuffed with wonderful adventures to be shared and loved!

This Little Library is courtesy of the efforts, among others, of the Friends of the Library, and to my late friend, David Rollison.

I am so grateful for their efforts.  It helps confirm that Blackshear is indeed a very special town.  And I will always think fondly of David when I see it.

Tax season has kept me from many things, but soon I will have to visit. and pick up a book or two, and leave a couple for others.

Oh, yes!  The places we'll go!

Thank you, Friends of the Library.

Thank you, David.


I believe this is Sandra Deal-  the Governor's wife, Sara Rollison  (I know that one for sure) and Stephanie Bell,  I will come back and correct if I am wrong.








1 comment: