Saturday, May 27, 2017

Montana Blues: Saturday Political Soap Box 165



Sometimes it's hard to hold onto faith.  Sometimes it seems like all hope is gone.Sometimes your heart sinks, because you think we will never back away from the abyss.

I don't know why the Montana special election to replace a far right Republican Congressman in a deep red state broke me, but it did.

I thought people were finally waking up.  I thought they would start to rebel against the greatest con in American History.  Their candidate for President was under multiple investigations for colluding with a foreign power, and then obstructing justice.  His foreign policy was dangerous, and putting us at risk all around the world.  He lies without any regard for the truth.  He disregards the constitution, including shredding the emoluments clause, and stripping first amendment rights from the press.  He has not drained the swamp, instead filling it with billionaire swamp monsters whose major goal is to destroy agencies and enrich themselves.  His budgets would take hard benefits away from the very people that voted for him, and shower tax reductions on the very , very wealthy.

This spoiled multi-millionaire Greg Gianforte, this until recently New Jerseyite, this somewhat unpopular man who lost a statewide race for Governor, this Trumpeteer who ran bragging about his connections to the foulest administration of our times, this man won.

And what makes it irredeemably worse, is that he beat up a reporter the night before the election.  Don't believe me?  Maybe you'll believe the FOX NEWS TEAM that witnessed it and verified the reporter's story.

Yes, I know that much of the vote had already been mailed in, prior to this incident.  Yes, I know that Rob Quist may not have been the ideal candidate.  But I'm tired of races where the slightest mistake by a Democrat eliminates him from contention, and the most egregious foulness done by the Republican is shoved under the rug and forgiven.

Using a private server does not equal using your celebrity status to grab women by their private parts.  It does not equal colluding with Russia.  It does not equal being a slumlord that is prosecuted for discrimination against minorities. It does not equal calling Mexicans rapist and murderers, attacking gold Star families, threatening reporters with violence and lawsuits, obstructing justice, and I could go on and on and on and on and on.  And of course, to you Trumpeteers, it wouldn't mean a damn thing.  Like lemmings you follow him off the cliff of democracy, plummeting us into an authoritarian tyranny, led by a buffoonish con man in clown face.

Trump floats.  But you don't.

At times like this, it is hard to cling to my Christian faith, to my rock-bed belief that the arc of history is towards justice, towards bringing the Kingdom of Heaven to Earth, as I pray each night with the Lord's Prayer.

I have to remind myself that history is not a smooth trajectory to the light, but there are sometimes setbacks, tragic regressions that appeal to the worst in human kind.  We are going through that dark time now.

As hard as it is, I still have faith we can come out of it, and emerge a better nation and world.  I just weep for all those lives that hurt until that happens.

In the meantime, I have to cope with reactions to the Montana beating like this -



Right now, I grieve for all we have lost, and are losing.

Soon, though, I hope to be back in the saddle.

As quixotic as it may, I will always strive for a better nation, a better world.

The light has been dimmed, but it is still there.







No comments:

Post a Comment