Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Slytherin Wednesday Wanderings



The Writecation is over.

Time to go back to work.

The worst part of my week off was the snake in our woodpile, inside our screened-in porch.

I tried to identify by social media, but the responses came too slow.

Alison was scared.  It had diamond shapes on its back.  It had a triangle head.

Before we got word as to what it might be, it started to move.  It was going to hide behind some things I couldn't move, and would become a permanent resident of our porch.

Alison hates snakes.  I had never seen a live one out of a cage or a pet owner/trainer's hands,  We have three small dogs who could get in big trouble if they saw it. And safe or not, I wasn't going to pick it up.

I had a shovel, and I resolved the problem.

Then the social media verdict came in.  It was a harmless snake, non-venomous.  Too late.

I felt ashamed and embarrassed,  but I also felt like I had to act.  Not a particular moment I'm proud of.

-----------------------------------------

The writing part of writecation went pretty well.  I revised the prologue of the first book of History of the Trap and started writing the prologue for the  second book.  So far, the reaction to my postings of chapter parts has been...pretty much non-existent, but that's okay.  I have to concede that I am writing for me, and inviting anyone else to come along if they want.

------------------------------------

We did not go to the movie theater, but we did introduce Benjamin to the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise by streaming the first movie.  He enjoyed it, but as Alison and I know, the franchise becomes less interesting and more repetitive as time goes on, I don't know if or when we'll watch the other ones with him.

I find Johnny Depp's pirate interesting and quirky, but not exactly the tour de force that many others seem to consider it.  Drunk, slurry pirate is an interesting twist, but not sustainable over so many movies - just my own feelings.

--------------------------------

The disintegration of Trump continues, faster than I can write about.  Yes, his approval rating is low, but nowhere near as low it should be.  People around me continue to cling to the notion that Trump is not as bad as Hillary.  It scares me as to how many lives will be hurt before they wake up.


-------------------------------------

I am making progress on my weight and blood pressure, but not as quickly as I would like.  I was able to stabilize my weight while I was at home for a week, and that is kind of a victory in and of itself. Normally, being at home has an upward weight trajectory.  My blood pressure is a tick up from previous recent readings, but that probably has to do with resuming accounting work this morning.

------------------------------

I'm proud of Benjamin.  He starts volunteering at the public library today.  I hope that goes well.

Now, I wander away.





















1 comment:

  1. That's unfortunate about the snake, but you did the right thing at the time.

    I've been reading your revised prologue, and I'm enjoying it!

    You have a point about the Pirates of the Caribbean series, but it's been a while since the last movie came out so I'm excited to see the new one!

    Congrats on your health!

    Way to go Ben! I love libraries! I know he'll have a great time and do a lot of good there.

    ReplyDelete