Thursday, September 7, 2017

A Special Weather Message to My Michigan and Other Out-of-State Friends



Yeppers.

Yet another weather related post.  That must be another  record for a blog that is supposed to be chock full of variety.  Yep.  Another record.

Just like the storm headed for Florida and the east coast of the United States.  It's huge, both in terms of size and strength.  It's still a Category 5, as it barrels its way closer to South Florida.

There are some that have been concerned about Alison and my family, and to the degree of danger that we're in.  Some have urged us to evacuate. One person even offered us to stay at their home in North Georgia until the storm passed.  I am very grateful and thankful for that offer, and for all the kind concern people are showing my family.

I want to let you all now that we're okay.  Presently, the storm's path is projected to center offshore when it passes our area, at either a level Two or One.  It is following a trajectory similar to Hurricane Matthew did last year.  That caused some wind, rain, downed tree limbs, and a loss of power.  We are most likely in for something similar with Irma.

There no mandatory evacuations in our area.  I have heard of very few people even thinking of leaving.  We live some 60 miles inland from the Atlantic.

We currently have a lot of panic buying, especially relating to bottled water and gas.  Some people are hoarding, whether in an attempt to gouge later, or in a panicked sense of need, I am unsure.  Some events are being cancelled.  I'm hearing of people who are afraid to travel much for fear of the amount of gas they will use.

We need to be with our pets.  We have a very big caravan of animals we would have to move, if we were to evacuate.  Our dachshund/spaniel mix, Cocoa Bear, who is about 9, is starting to get very nervous during storms, and it is best if someone can be with her to help her see through them.

My biggest disappointment is that my son, Greg, is visiting my middle son, Doug, in Atlanta, and it does not look like we will be able to get away to see them.  Between the traffic (I-75 threatens to be a parking lot), and needing to be here to protect the house and animals, I don't think we're getting up there.  This hurts me tremendously, and I  am re-evaluating it hour to hour.

So, my Michigan friends and others, we will "weather" through it.  Thanks for your concern, and prayers to all of you, as more and more of us have to cope with the increasing frequency of extreme weather events.

Because global warming is real, and it's not just causing harm in the future.

It's causing harm right now.


Cocoa Bear!





2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you won't get to see your family. Hope y'all stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday at about 7 PM, the winds are picking up some, and we're experiencing moderate rain. The eye, when it passes, is more towards West Georgia now.

    ReplyDelete