Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Two Goal Weekend!


Gooooaaal!

I was DeeLighted to spend last weekend with my son Doug and his girlfriend Paige.  

The highlight was a trip to Atlanta's new stadium, Mercedes Benz Stadium (one more time - the only downer to the place is the stupid corporate name attached to it), watching the new sport sensation, Atlanta United, the MLS (Major League Soccer) team who, in it's first year, is already in solid competition for a playoff spot!




We got there early, and this is a picture of the stadium before people were seated.  As early as we arrived, there were still plenty of people walking the outside ring, which was filled with a festive atmosphere, and vendors selling food and drinks at remarkable prices.  A souvenir cup with unlimited refills was $4.  We got cheese nachos for $3, and a huge pretzel for $2.



The seats were comfortable with great views, and......THEY GOT DRINK HOLDERS!!!



At half time, they watered the field.  Not quite sure why, given it's artificial turf in a domed stadium, but.....there you go.

In reviewing the pictures I took, I was surprised to see I didn't take any pictures of the soccer action.  Sorry.  I was too busy being mesmerized by the nonstop movement.  It's pretty much continuous once they start playing.

I am thrilled to report that Atlanta United beat the Montreal Impact 2 - 0!  This puts them in third place in their division (the top six teams go to the playoffs)!  This is an extraordinary showing for a first year expansion team!



Meanwhile, before the United game started, there were dozens of TV screens showing the other Mercedes-Benz team, the Atlanta Falcons, playing a game in Detroit against my beloved, beleaguered Lions.

Which curse would rule?  The Falcons giving up a lead, or the Lions having touchdowns taken away by the refs?

Yeah, the Lions had a spectacular drive with only a minute left, score spectacularly with only eight seconds left, and then have the refs review it, take it away, put in a ten second run off, and end the game without giving the Lions one last play.

So, end of story.  The Lions, last time as national champions in 1957, are more cursed than the Falcons.  So there.




Oh, the cliche of it all!  I took a picture of my food from an Irish restaurant in Atlantic Station.  It's Bangers and Mash, washed down with a Guinness Half and Half!  It is kinda symbolic of a trip next year we are taking to ....Ireland!  Yes, Doug, Paige, Alison and I are going to that Emerald Isle in 2018!

The best food I ate too quickly, and failed to get a picture of.  Paige made homemade bagels that were the best ever, just the right taste and texture.  I also came home with some delicious homemade bread she made.  Delicioso!

It was a fantabulous trip, and I look forward to their visiting us very soon!





1 comment:

  1. Wow, glad you had fun! I love watching soccer.
    Homemade bread...yum!

    ReplyDelete