Saturday, September 9, 2017

Stories from a Stony Land - Thomas Jefferson the First

I am finally resuming my Dad's writings and research on our family history.   Although some entries will be verbatim in my Dad's writings, some will require a great deal of adaption and interpretation.

Such is the case with poor Thomas Jefferson.  Little is written about this representative of the sixth generation, but I will tell what I can derive from my Dad's notes.

Thomas Jefferson Strait is a unique name in the annals of Strait history.  It's the only name I can find to have a second, and even a third.  Our line is notorious for not having Juniors, and a line of inherited names.

I suppose I could have been Thomas Jefferson Strait the Fourth, but gratefully, I was named instead Thomas Martin Strait.  And although I have had three sons, there is not a Junior in the bunch.

Thomas Jefferson Strait, date of birth unknown, the first born son of Reuben, is an important figure in Strait history, even though my Dad did not write much about him.  He married Maria Powell, and that becomes an important name as generations progressed, as for decades, family reunions were known as the Strait/Powell reunions.

Thomas moved.  He moved quite a bit before he settled.  They were in Tyrone Township in Steubens County of New York.  In 1837, he was "removed" (my Dad's word) to Butler County, Ohio.  This is depressing, as no right-thinking Strait would settle in Ohio.  Thankfully, in 1842,  they moved to Jennings Col, Indiana (Dad probably meant County rather than Col- at least that's what my googling turned up...and who can argue with google?).  Indiana was better than Ohio, but still not quite right.

In 1847, he made the big move.  That's right.  The Strait clan had finally come to the stony land - Jackson County, Michigan!

They are listed as having seven children:

Sarah Ann (1833 - 1905) marrying Otis Dillingham Finch in 1852.  The notes on this are funky, but I believe she had six children, including another Thomas Jefferson!

Reuben (presumptuously named after his grandfather), born 1834.  More on him in the Generation 7 post!  Hey, you don't want me to spoil everything, do you?

Joseph, who died at 2.

Thomas Jefferson (another one), who died at 7.

Evaline, who died at 4.

Frances, who married Henry Thomson, but died at 21, childless.

Louisa (1850 - 1927) married Thomas Powell in 1839.  Is this Powell connected to Louisa's mother, who's maiden last name was Powell?  Shades of Game of Thrones!  There is nothing in my Dad's notes to indicate if there was a relationship.  Mary Powell's family was from New York, and Thomas Powell was from Michigan (presumably), so I don't know.  Intriguing, to say the least. Louise had two children, Frances Leone (1871 - 1943) and Clayton Adelbert (1875 - 1940).

That's a wrap for now on Generation Six!  Well, at least we're finally in Michigan!






2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad has several binders full of family history. I hope to post it all over time.

    ReplyDelete