Friday, September 29, 2017

The Lawn Can Wait

It's been two weeks.  Maybe three.  It's hard to remember.  I suppose I really should  mow the lawn today.


But I'm not going to.

It's not so long that it can't go another week.  It's not so long that I would lose a pet in the tall grasses.  It's not so long that I wouldn't see a snake or gator before it was too late.

I am a creature of habit when I do mow.  I mow on Saturday mornings.  And if it rains, or if I have another obligation,why, I'll just wait another week.  Rarely, I will mow with the atheists on Sunday morning.

I don't have a riding lawn mower.  Our lot is a little under an acre, and I don't see the necessity for a big mower.  We do normally have two push mowers, so I and my son can split up the task and get it done quicker. I say normally, because one of our two mowers has given up the ghost.  It seems like one or both of them is always needing repairs.  This means rather than split, we have to tag team.  And I don't know how much I'm up to that.

We lost a lot of limbs due to Hurricane Irma.  We managed most of it and put it into a debris pile.  I think we clearly won the neighborhood prize for most yard debris.  We have a huge oak tree in the backyard, that is very solid, but sheds a lot of limbs during storms.  At that, there is still some debris in the fenced in back yard that the dogs use.  I'm not in a rush.  I figure it's fun for them, like negotiating an obstacle course.

We have a good number of shrubs and plants and flowers, that I don't really know what they are or a clue as how to take care of them.  I suppose at some point, I might have to trim them or something.  You would think with my semi-retirement from accounting, I would have more time to figure this out.  I don't know, though.  More time off is not turning me into a yard person yet.

My Dad was a yard person, a hangover I think from managing a farm in his younger days.  He never asked for my help, and when I did try (probably my Mother sending me out to do SOMETHING), he would give me a little to do, and if I wasn't doing it right, he would just take the job back.  My father is a wonderful man, but not really a great delagator when it came to yard work or household tasks.  I did take over the lawn mowing by late junior high/high school. With a push mower, of course.

Mowing isn't all bad.  The routine physical exercise allows me to think, and sometimes to come up with creative ideas.  I came up with the whole re-coursing of my life towards doing business and accounting as a career while doing yard work.  Okay, that might not be the best example of positive creative thought.

There are some people who get great joy out of yard work, like my father. More power to them.  They only time it upsets me is when people of that ilk think that people who DON'T do that are lazy.  Investing in a yard that takes a lot of work to maintain is a choice, not a requirement.  What looks like a necessary chore to some may look like artificially created busy work to someone else.

Okay, let me check the yard again and see if I really have to do it yet.

Nah.  I'll pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment