Sunday, August 19, 2018

Eat Me Drink Me

John 6:51-58 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; 55 for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.”

Eat me
Drink me
Not just something for Alice in Wonderland.
This is the lectionary Gospel reading for August 19, 2018.  Probably.  At least according to the online Episcopal Church Lectionary.
Thankfully, we don't literally eat the body and blood of the Son of Man.  We're not vampires or cannibals.  Even in the Gospel, at the Last Supper, Jesus is taking bread and wine and calling it his body and blood.   Various Christian sects determine this as either symbolic or, in some sense, transubstantiation, in which the essence of the bread and wine become the body and blood of Christ. 

The Eucharist, this sharing of Christ's essence,  is an essential part of the Episcopal Church.  The concept of the open table, where all believers can participate, is a transforming, unifying, and spiritual experience.  It is my favorite part of our service, and when I feel closest to God.
Sharing his essence brings me closer to the Christian community, and it brings me closer to the spirit of Jesus.  He is within me and all about me.  He dwells within me, a spirit and faith I can connect with, aide me in times of need, draw strength from, and be at peace in quiet reflection.  It sends me out into the world for the next week, more open to be the hands and feet of Christ.  I want to contribute to my church and help build the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth.
As John says, do you indeed live forever?  Unfortunately, no.  Not at least your physical body.  But you are part of Christ and the Christain community, a bright light that will shine forever, as long as there are those open to his spirit, willing to take the body and blood into themselves and give themselves over to his faith and love.

It is important to note that I am not a theologian or clergy. These are just some of my thoughts on the lectionary reading of the day.  They are not meant to be the official view of any group or denomination.  Heck, even I could look at it differently if I just turn the setting on the kaleidoscope.









No comments:

Post a Comment