Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Grace Lee and the Celebration of 90!



I was honored to be able to attend Grace Lee's 90th birthday party last Saturday. There were well over 100 people, family and friends from all over.  It was truly a joyous celebration, with music and memories.

Her children spoke and were very eloquent.  Grace spoke and was very charming. 

Her daughter brought up how the Okefenokee Writer's Guild has been so important in her life the last few years.  She is a great writer and person, and it has been my honor to help her to meetings and be her friend.  The only other Writer's Guild member that was there was Julie Lacefield.  She has also been very supportive of Grace.

There were many pictures and scrapbooks on display, but also a vast plethora of her writings, including the story she did for the upcoming August meeting.

In speaking to us, Grace noted how she was surprised she made it to 90, but now that she had, she felt sure she would reach 100!  Given her strength of character, her loving family and friends, I have no doubt that she will!

The celebration reminded my of my own father's 90th birthday party. At that point, he was having good days and bad days, as far as being responsive to his environment.  It was a much smaller affair, that centered on close family members. Like Grace, my father was a very accomplished man, and a very kind and loving soul.  He passed fifteen months later.  I miss him every day.

----------------------------------------

My blog output has slowed considerably.  I've been in a bit more time at work this month.  We've also had a close family member in the hospital, recovering nicely, but that is requiring time and attention that we gladly give.  Myself, I am subject to foot pains, and they have been pretty bad recently.  It makes it difficult to concentrate on anything for long.  It is also difficult to drive, but that is kind of unavoidable right now.


Hang in there with me.  I hope to be back on track very soon!









No comments:

Post a Comment