Friday, August 10, 2018

Flash Fiction Friday: Broken

The first time I needed it, it was there for me.  It did what I needed it to.  I was lucky to have it, and it may have saved my life.  It certainly ended Bob's, though.  That's for sure.

Yes, it was stupid to come out here.  Bob convinced me that one more hike through the mountain trails would revive our relationship.  I knew that it was over, but I thought I would give him this one last thing.  Maybe it would make it clear to him we were no longer a match.

All it did was trigger his rage.  And with no one to hold him check, I was at grave risk.

Bob had laughed at me bringing the umbrella.  The forecast revealed only a tiny chance of light rain, and he had packed rain jackets that he thought would serve us better.  I don't know what made me bring it.  It was underneath the car seat, and I instinctively grabbed it.  When he challenged me on taking it, it just made me more stubborn to keep it.

When we got to the Mighty Oak, he wanted to stop and talk.  I made my feelings clear.  He was now a good friend to me, nothing more. 

Bob did not like this.  Bob did not want to accept this.  He pleaded and cried, got down on his hands and knees.  When he started to pathetically sing our song (Rihanna's Umbrella), I lost it.  I began to howl with laughter.

This was a mistake.  Bob was infuriated.  He came at me with a look of uncontrollable rage.  He hit me, right across the face.  It split my lip open, not much, but enough to taste the blood.  He grabbed me and started pulling at my clothes, at the same time while tugging down his own pants.  I still clutched the umbrella behind me back,  and as his insistent hug intensified, I swung it around, hitting him on the head full force.

He backed up a second, looking at me puzzled, blood seeping across his forehead.  "You bitch!" he screamed and came at me again.  I hit him again, and he went down.  As he started to pull himself up, I stabbed him with the pointy end.

Now it was my own rage that was out of control.  I struck him and stabbed him until the light went out from his eyes.

I ran.  I ran until I came to the stream.  I sat on a large rock. 

The rains came.  It was a deluge.  My umbrella no longer worked.  It was twisted and torn, bloody and broken.  It did not matter.  As heavy as the rain was, I did not feel it.


Then I heard it.  The singing and splashing.  The song coming from near the stream.  Someone was splashing in the stream, warbling Singing in the Rain.  It was Andy.  He must have followed me.

Sometimes when you break up, it's because you realize you're no longer a match.  Or you need to move to a different stage of your life that doesn't include them.  Sometimes you just want to be with someone else.  For me, that someone was Andy.

Andy continued to sing.  He took me in his arms, and we danced in the rain.  He kissed me gently, and for a moment, I forgot what had just gone on before.

Andy noticed my umbrella.  "What the hell happened to your umbrella?  It's all smashed up, and..." his eyes opened in surprise, " is that blood?"

I sighed.  I had trouble coming up with an explanation.  The only thing I could think of was a bear, but before I could say anything, he asked, "Was that Bob's car down there?"  He looked around.  "Where is Bob?"

Poor Andy.

Now him, I was going to miss.




2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Another Writer's Guild assignment. I was given the writing prompt .... a broken umbrella.

    ReplyDelete