Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Windy Wednesday Wanderings



Well, it's not really too windy yet.  But it may get windier as the day progresses.  Some of the extreme outer bands of Hurricane Dorian may brush us, as the now category 2 storm churns slowly past us in the Atlantic Ocean.

It may not be too bad here, except to rile up our storm sensitive dog, Cocoa Bear.  The older Cocoa Bear gets, the more she reacts to even the slightest change in barometric pressure.  She does okay when we're home, but not so well when we're not.  She bites at doorknobs, and if she can get in our bedroom, she will get in our closet and strew all of Alsion's clothes that she can reach.

As glancing as the blow we may receive, it contrasts sharply with the utter devastation that the Bahamas received.  It entered the Bahamas at Category 5, and then just stayed there for HOURS.  Pictures this morning are showing destruction on an unprecedented level.  Thank God they are not dependent on our racist President for support, and they don't have to listen to his inane smack talk.

--------------------------------------

We were thrilled to have Benjamin back for the weekend.  He is doing so well in school, participating in his classes, joining groups,  making lots of friends. 

I would love to tell you we did something dramatic while he was here, but we did not.  We just enjoyed each other's company, and talked a lot, caught up on the TV show Battlebots, and went to church.  I am proud to say that not only has Benjamin joined the Episcopal Church near campus, he has also joined their choir!

Yes, everything at college is going very well for Benjamin.  Well, except for one thing.  And I don't feel like going into that here yet, so...

------------------------------------------

VAPING is a horrible thing, and some don't feel like they have to restrict whom they vape around.  I guess they feel it's not as bad as smoking, and that people who don't like can just put up with it.  Even if they do it around people with asthma.

Alison and I have both heard more and more stories about how truly dangerous vaping is.  It's nicotine and other chemicals going into the bodies of our young people and even results in second-hand vaping effects.  Respiratory diseases and even lung cancer have been linked to vaping.

It is a major crisis among the young.  Vaping companies have targeted youth to promote their product, including flavored products (e.g., bubblegum and fruit loops).  They encourage them to tell parents and others that what they have are flash drives or USB devices, which their smoking devices are designed to look like.

Some parents are oblivious to this nonsense.  I guess some think "Well, at least they're not smoking."  Uhh, yes they are.  And there are as dangerous as cigarettes and even more insidious.

Young people are not comprehending the problem.  What can you do when you even majors in Exercise Science are doing it?  If they don't respect their body, who will?

Man!  Sorry!  I don't know where that tangent came from!

----------------------------------------------------

Today I must concentrate on learning my lines for the play I'm in.  It's early, but I've got to do what I can.  I'm already falling behind some of the more ambitious cast members.  I have a reputation for learning my lines quickly, but it is undeserved, particularly as I age.

Three factors in line memorization -

1) I've always had the script in my hands until the director took it away.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

2) I'm older.  Line memorization comes more slowly to me now.  I have to spend more than three times the amount of memorization time to get the same results I could twenty years ago.

3) I'm not a painter.  By that I mean I do not paint my lines, using the script as a template and saying sort of what's in the script but not precisely the words of the script.  I  learn my lines word for word, exactly as written.  Then later, if I have to adapt to what other people are saying around me, I can change as needed.  But I really like to give the line as written - it shows more respect to the playwright.

----------------------------------

That's all I can think of right now.

When does college football start?

Wanderingly yours,

T. M. Strait























No comments:

Post a Comment