Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Waterfall Wednesday Wanderings


 

Here comes the rain again.

Falling off my roof like a waterfall.

Wildfires.  Hurricanes. Floods.  Drought.  Record high temperatures.

My little corner of the world, Southeast Georgia, is getting off pretty easy compared to many other spots around the globe.

We've had hot days, but nothing that seems too out of range for this area.  We've had enough rain that we haven't had to worry about the Okefenokee Swamp running ablaze.

I won't go on about climate change/global warming on this post.  Either you accept reality, or you don't.  It's happening, regardless of whether you believe in it or not.

-----------------------------

Reading:  The Great Halifax Explosion by John U Bacon.  It tells of a munitions laden ship blowing up in the Halifax harbor, creating the most massive explosion mankind had experienced (only topped by the atomic bomb).  I wasn't sure if it might get too technical, over describing ships and stuff (like Tom Clancy did with 10-page descriptions of submarines), but it's character and story-driven, rather than overly technical. This occurred during WWI.  Yes, I'm reading more about history, and I love it.

Watching:  Just finished The Umbrella Academy with Alison.  I loved it!  Relevant but not as amped as Watchmen, superhero action but not as campy as some of the DC and Marvel stuff.  I'm a huge Ellen Page fan, and it was good to see so much of the story focused on her character.  

We are in the second season of The Carol Burnett Show.  It is incredibly funny, although some things are outdated - the political humor was often more conservative than I remembered. The attitude towards LGBTQ reflected a little bit too much snark.  Tim Conway is a guest star at this point, but not a regular, but whenever he or Johnathan Winters is on, it really kicks it up a notch.  I'm also impressed with some of the older greats that appear - Mickey Rooney, Martha Raye, Don Rickles - I had forgotten what a great sense of comedy, a vaudevillian spirit, that permeates their performances.

I've started the second season of The Boys.  This is adult superhero drama done right.  It presents a chilling world where major corporations use superheroes to achieve their own corporate ends.  It also has one of the oldest tropes in superhero stories - what if the good guy with ultimate power turned evil?  I love Superman, but it's only a matter of time before each writer who handles him decides how clever it is to show what Superman is like if he was evil.  Been there, done that, move on!

Writing:  Blog.  History of the Trap Part 2.  Should be marketing/querying The Extra Credit Club, but I fear rejection too much to deal with it.  Yes, I have a fully complete book, and I am just sitting on it.  If anyone (18 or older) would like to beta read it for me, I would much appreciate it.

Wanderingly Yours,

T. M. Strait
















2 comments:

  1. Good Morning! I was happy to read that you loved the Umbrella Academy! My son, a huge comic book super hero fan, suggested this 2 season series. I really enjoyed it, creepy parts and all. Looking forward to the next season. History of the Trap part 2... will I look forward to the book whenever you decide to publish it. I feel, I am not qualified enough to read it and give you smart, helpful feedback like you deserve. Love Carol Burnett! I need to check out The Boys. Stay safe and keep doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Boys is ok, but it's a lot tougher series than The Umbrella Academy, with more graphic violence. The Boys is more political, touching on fascism.

    ReplyDelete