Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A New and Glorious Post-Election Morn

It's like finishing the second Harry Potter novel.  You're grateful that the forces of Voldemort have been defeated but you get the feeling that they'll be back.  In the never-ending skirmishes of American politics  I am so relieved for the victories that were received, but I know the battle is hardly over.

The President's victory was remarkable, and I am so grateful for it.  His margin of victory was not quite what  it was versus McCain, but it was decisive enough, and exceeded the expectations of most pundits.Honestly, I cannot picture what would have happened had Romney/Ryan been elected, but at least now I can confine that to the speculative annals of alternative history.

The Affordable Care Act has now survived it's last great challenge, and will hopefully be a gateway to even greater reform in the future.  The Supreme Court may now eventually be wrested from the hands of those who favor the wealthy and big business over average folk.  We are less likely to have a Supreme Court that will try to reverse social engineer us.  We are less likely now to be drawn into foreign conflicts.  We can proceed with green energy, which I still see as the bedrock foundation of building a 21st century economy.

The Senate held for the Democrats, which was my prediction. As of writing this, they may have gained three seats.  It was a great election for women, as we gained Elizabeth Warren and Tammy Baldwin in the Senate (just to name two).  Elizabeth Warren is a progressive superstar, and I greatly look forward to her debating the likes of Mitch McConnell and James Inhofe.  On the dark side, Republicans still hold more than forty seats, and under current Senate rules, they will continue to filibuster and run roughshod over the public will.

The House had very modest gains for the Democrats, but these numbers are still in flux.  Regardless, the Republicans maintain control of this body, which will further slow the progress we are able to make.  The congressional districts are heavily gerrymandered in favor of the Republicans, but as demographics shift, I predict this will be harder and harder to sustain.

I know very little of local races.  My guess is that most Democrats in this area lost.  I heard that Amendment One, an effort to promote private schools over funding public schools won, and I find that result completely baffling.  Even conservative extremists in our area opposed this one.  The bottom line is, that for us small group of progressives in this area, life will continue to be uncomfortable and unpleasant.  I imagine my son and other Obama kids will continue to be bullied and harassed.  I had hoped that some people around here would be slowly waking up, but I see little sign of that happening.

I extend an olive branch to those who have so bitterly opposed this President, and a desire that we can work together to solve the many problems we face.  But if I offer that olive branch, and you instead start to chew my arm off, don't expect me to be quiet about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment