Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ladies and Gentleman, Start Your Christmas Engines!

When does Christmas season start?

I mean, I know when advent starts,  and I'm aware of the religious calender of the events leading to Christmas.  I also know when the commercial holiday starts up (used to be after Thanksgiving, but now has creeped towards just after Halloween or even earlier).   I mean my own mind and sense of spirit.  When does it flip over to Christmas mode?

Even though it has been literally decades since I could do this, my brain is partly set on the Christmas break. When I would get out of school, college or my teaching career, it was at the beginning of that break that I would finally flip over to Christmas mode.  That would still leave me as much as a week to prepare for the holidays.  Now if I wait for Christmas break to get in the holiday mood, that would mean doing so most often sometime on the afternoon of....Christmas Eve.  Our official work holiday is half day Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  Period.

It has not helped my Christmas mood as because of our impending move we have not gotten out any Christmas decorations. Hard to do so when we'll be changing where we live in mid-month.

It does not help my Christmas mood that there is no significant change of seasons here.  Certainly no snow.  Having grown up in Michigan, the lack of snow here in South Georgia messes with my time clock in all sorts of ways.

So I will get there.  Slowly, in my own way.  I probably won't get into high gear until about January 2nd.  Along about the time that everyone else is putting it behind and shaking off the holiday spirit is when I go, "Wha happened?  The party just started!"

So get ready, Strait Line fans!  It'll be like election deja vu!  You'll be wondering why is that Strait fellow still talking about Christmas?  More out of sync madness and fun to come!

So not quite wishing you Merry Christmas yet,

T. M. Strait


No comments:

Post a Comment