Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bringing In The Tithe

I am sure there is justification for the biblical concept of the tithe being 10%.

There is also justification for the tithe being more than 10%.  Some of the Gospels indicate that Jesus thinks it should be 100% - that there is no limit to what you should give and share and devote yourself to others.

Real life interferes with that.  But I think it is a good goal to have in mind.  Whether it is 1% or 99%, it is the striving to do more that is the important thing.

Giving money is the easy part.  You learn to budget accordingly, and give what you can.  The hard part is the giving of yourself.  And that has been very difficult for me.

I'm not a builder of things.  It is hard for me to do much for groups like Habitat for Humanity, or mission trips designed to build or restore buildings.  I have no gift for construction or putting things together.  Most of the times I wind up on the sidelines, completely baffled as what to do.  I was for awhile a treasurer for the local Habitat for Humanity, but that was so much like the accounting that I already spent so much time doing, it was difficult for me to extend my accounting day to do more.

I'm very shy, and it is difficult for me to meet people unscripted and engage with them, particularly in meeting people for the first time.  That limits my effectiveness as a fundraiser, or in dealing directly with people.  This may seem odd to people who've seen me on stage, but there I have lines learned and I know what I'm going to say.

In struggling to come up with charitable activities that take advantage of my strengths but minimize my weaknesses, I have finally stumbled across a place where I can make a strong positive contribution.  Where I can make a difference in the lives of children and our community.  And that is by continuing to support and benefit children's theater.  It is not as dramatic as building houses or healing the sick, but it is something that is positive and improving in the lives that are affected.  Especially in a theater like Flying Dragon Arts Center, that is doing plays with positive themes (like our anti-bully message in Young Robin Hood), and has a policy of casting every child that trys out.  And gives as many kids as possible exposure to what it's like to be on stage and shine.

It's a long time coming for me to finally realize where I can make my contribution.  And it feels good to be doing so.  Sometimes, it can be very frustrating, this children's theater.  Lack of rehearsal attendance, difficult children, occasional lack of parental involvement, all can make you wonder if it's worthwhile.  But then you put the play on, and you see the happy, self-confident children and the joy in the audience, and you know that it's all been worth it!

I still will give to the church, support other causes that help make this a better world, strive to be generous to those who have been disadvantaged and exploited.  But it is good to know that there is a place I can go and use my talents to contribute to a world that's a little bit brighter, children a bit more happy and self-confident, and a community that enjoys what it's young people can do.

1 comment:

  1. Not being a Christian, I have no history or buy-in to the tithing concept. Also, my cash flow has always been on the minimal side, for a variety of reasons. However, I have always believed in giving, support those who are in need, of services as well as finances. That's why I am a Social Worker and involve myself in causes. I agree that it's important to find the ways that match your skills, whatever they may be. I have tried many groups locally. Some have disbanded, others I have left (in some cases more than once) due to issues with individuals in the group. I really hate that--but I have decided when I am receiving more pain than fulfillment from an activity, it is time to stop. At this time, politics has seemed the way to go, so I am continuing my role with the political party of my choice. I stop short of tithing, in the Christian sense at least. I give of myself, my time, my ideas, and as much money as I can reasonably afford at any given time. I have patients on fixed incomes who truly believe in the 10% tithe, even though it may mean depriving themselves of need food, medication or transportation. I know this because I am filling out the form for their financial assistance. I'm sorry, but this just doesn't make sense to me--I really don't believe that this is what any God you could have faith in would desire. I will continue to drop my dollars in the bucket at meetings and spend long days manning a booth promoting our ideas and goals--just don't use the word "tithe" and I'm ok.

    ReplyDelete