Monday, November 26, 2012

Cyber Shock Monday and other Monday Musings

Our internet is slowing.

It could be something needs to be cleaned out, although whatever is happening is happening on all our devices.  It could be our satellite dish is getting old and maybe part of it is not working, although I don't know what could happen that would make it slow and not eliminate it altogether.  It may be just clouds or sunspots.  Or maybe a tree has grown to a size that it now interferes with our coverage.

Whatever it is, soon we will move and switch to high-speed cable internet   We were at Alison's father's house at Thanksgiving, which is in the neighborhood we will be moving to.  I brought my Kindle Fire to test their wireless.  I requested to see from Amazon Prime the movie Thor.  It ran almost instantaneously and was without interruption.  I only ran the first half hour (without sound so as not to disrupt our other activities), and tried to resume the movie at our house.  Our interent  could not restart it, and I finally just gave up.

So, you see, that is a part of the move that I'm looking forward to.Electronically, we can move from the 90s into the 21st century.

We are starting to slowly pack.  Tough decisions have to be made as we slog through the artifacts of our lives.  It is tough on me on comics and books as I try to bring them to a more manageable size.  That means taking some comics to Goodwill that I have hung onto for a very long time.  I have tried selling some comics on eBay  and it is often a depressing thing, as you have to sell substantially below guide value, pay unexpected shipping costs, and deal with strange and irrational customer requests and complaints.  I have come to the reluctant conclusion that it is better just to take the comics to Goodwill and take the tax deduction.  Which, by the way, is completely new to me.  I have never tried to claim a deduction for donated items to groups like Goodwill.  It's hard for me to let go of the comics, and it is way for me to rationalize letting them go.

Except for the Atlanta Falcons, sports has been kind of heart breaking lately.  It is hard to wartch the Detriot Lions fall back yet again.  The Detroit Tigers had a great season overall, but there's no denying that the World Series was a great let down.  And the Michigan Wolverines...well, I still like their coach very much, and hope things will improve for them next season.  And I should be more excited for the Georgia Bulldogs than I am, but I'm afraid they may have fallen inadvertent victim to my funk about the SEC.  Anyways, I would love to see Georgia in a national championship game with Notre Dame.

We continue to try to empty the DVR.  I'm still of the opinion that the best show on regular prime-time network television is Fringe.  The best show on basic cable is The Walking Dead.  Never knew a zombie show could be so character rich and get us so emotionally involved.

Now that Young Robin hood is over, I feel the familiar tug of shyness and withdrawal pulling at me again.  I just want to hibernate, feel inadequate in dealing with people.  This is a difficult time to get this feeling.  Still have to make our home move, which seems like three dimensional chess at this point.  And it's hard to pull back during the Christmas season.  Then tax season will start, and it won't matter whether I want to withdraw or not.  I will be in the submarine until past mid-April.  Sigh.

Until next time,

T.M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment