Thursday, February 7, 2013

Broken Glasses Lament

I lost a screw that holds one of my glass lenses in place.  Hopefully, I can take them to the eye-care place later today and get them fixed.

How bad is my vision without them?  Not too bad.  It's just hard to see writing that is regular or small print   And numbers as well.  Nothing that wouldn't hurt me in my profession if I wasn't able to see it well.  Perhaps you'll be lucky and I can try to do your tax return before I get them fixed?

Seriously, I found some old reading glasses and can read with them.  I just can't look around from place to place.  Otherwise it makes me dizzy.

How bad is my eyesight?  Not very.  I can see pretty well - just got ruint with up close work, spending too much time reading and with accounting work.  I have to look at dozens of accounting systems a month, from different clients, a lot of it hand written, particularly this time of year.  I almost always wear them because I never know when I'm going to have to or want to read something.

The glasses I have are trifocals, so what you see and how well you see it depends on where you look while wearing them.  Sounds pretty complicated but it works out pretty well.

Is my eyesight getting worse as I age?  Not really.  I took a jog down in my early forties, and there has been little change since.  I think the more you wear glasses, however, the more dependent you become on them.  If I didn't have to rely on them for work, I might give them up for longer stretches and see if I could bring things back into focus. I just have to be willing to give up not seeing things perfectly for awhile, not worry about not being able to read perfectly.

Nah, not gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment