Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Pen and the Crayon: The Writer's Guild Meets the Art Guild

Special painting done for the Writer's Guild done by the multi-talented Leslie Crane.



Last night, The Okefenokee Heritage Center Art Guild had as their program the new Writer's Guild.  We introduced ourselves, starting with Leslie Crane reading from her novel The Life I Left Behind (available from the author) and a poem by Xiomara Vargas.

I then introduced our new guild, how it met, and some of the things we hope to do, including collaborative efforts with other guilds.  I read my recent blog entry, The Curious Artistic Life of T. M. Strait, a humorous telling of youthful attempts to be an artist.

We also had readings by Will Jacques (professional illustrator and horror fan, reading a story about giant rats) and Cody Goode (reading about ghosts and his fellow ghost hunters).Guild member Rem Farr introduced some of the concepts that he has been working on.

We were invited to be the program for this meeting by my friend Julianna Lacefield, and I thank her as it was a great opportunity to introduce our group and gain more support.  There were some delicious snacks including some delicious homemade cookies that Julianna prepared.  I brought some home with me, and I think I will have one this morning - the breakfast of champions.

I got to catch up with Frederick Lester Walker III, a great friend who is an excellent artist and participant in the theater community.  Among other things, he turns action figures into celebrity figures and does a brilliant job - I recently bought an Orlando Bloom figure from him for Alison's birthday.

I also got to meet for the very first time the amazing Boatdock Bill Davis, whom is a facebook friend and we have frequently commented on each other's post.  Bill was an elementary arts teacher in Ware County for many years, and is a great outdoors enthusiast, especially biking.  He is also a fellow traveler with me when it comes to politics - very rare in these parts!

The painting at the top of this post was done by Leslie Crane, a beautiful painting with a saying from C. S. Lewis - You can do anything writing!

How true!  Up next - OHC Open Mike night this Thursday!  Be there if you can!


No comments:

Post a Comment