Friday, November 15, 2013

Here I Come To Save the Day!

A picture from my toddlerhood.



I've been using this as my facebook profile picture for the last week.  One of my friends who saw it asked what song I was dancing to.  All I could think of quickly was Jailhouse Rock.

But I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

If I had to guess, it might have been the first song I have memories of.

"Here I come to save the day!
Mighty Mouse is on his way!"

Between Mickey and Mighty, I was a little mouse-aholic back then.  I was more impressed with Mighty Mouse, who was kind of anthropomorphic spin on Superman.  I remember Mighty Mouse as some of the first cartoons I saw, and The Adventures of Superman as one of the first live action programs.

The idea of being strong and powerful, but also as kind and helpful, had a lot of appeal to me.  Even way back then.

It was amazing the amount of energy I had.  Now it may take me fifteen minutes just to realize I'm out of bed.  Not then, however.  Then, I was ready to charge in and save the day, to rescue those in distress, to soar up the burning building, or clobber the bank robber.  Imagination was on fire, and energy was aflame.

Do I ever feel like that anymore?  Ready to charge into the day, be a do-gooder, to make things right with my Mighty Mouse fight?

I have to admit.  Buried deep within my cynical, coffee-addled adult brain, underneath the layers of weary experience, recessed within my aging soul and pudgy body.......

Yes.

Yes, I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment