Friday, November 15, 2013

History of the Trap: July Nightmares Part 5

5

The TV newscast done for the day, I went up to my father's office.  I was hoping that maybe I could use it to write the script that was due for The Sands of Loren.  The actors and crew would want scripts to practice from by tomorrow, in order to prepare for Saturday's broadcast.  And my Dad's office was near the care facility that Lisa worked at.  At least I could be near where she was, and come out and see her working, or even talk to her if she had a break.  I had to admit it.  The love bug was starting to bite deeper.
It looked like they only had two or three patients.  An awful rash on Suzie Cepaki, probably poison ivy.  A boy I don't remember who appeared to be suffering withdrawals, from I don't know what.  And poor Jerry Mack was sick again, shaking slightly, covered in blankets.
My father's door was cracked open, and I could hear him talking to Mr. Crowler.  I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I did. 
"And Mr.  Bowtin agreed to this?  On his own?  Without talking to us?" my father inquired of Oscar Crowler.
Mr. Crowler answered.  "Well, he does that sometimes.  He's very close to the students, and sometimes his judgment is not the best."
My Dad shook his head.  "No, it's not.  I know he means well, but he really must check with us first."
"Maybe it's not the worst thing in the world, Clive" Oscar rationalized.  "It would help focus activity, could be good in the long run.  And I think actually having some married students might create a greater stability, a better sense of responsibility."
"These students are underage.  Even if their parents would give permission, there is no way to know that.  Can you imagine when this nightmare ends, explaining to who knows how many parents, why we let their kids get "married" in here?" 
In my limited peek through the door crack, I could see Mr. Crowler wearily sit down at the conference table.  "That presumes we're ever going to get out of here.  And marriages?  My God, how are we going to tell parents their son or daughter has been killed?"
"I know, Oscar.  I dread it.  I dread it all.  But I can't give up hope.  If we're still here a year from now, maybe I'll reconsider it.  But not now.  Not yet."
"Clive, I feel....what is going on?  I don't understand.  I keep thinking, I'm going to wake up, and it's going to be April 17th, and all of this is nothing but a bad dream.  Students missing and others dead by accident, disease or foul play, food that should run out but never seems to, power on from God knows where, contraband cigarettes and alcohol, Betty and Joe murdered and we can't seem to catch who did it.  What else is going to happen?  How much more can we take?"
Was that the sound of crying?  Yes, I could see Oscar shaking a bit, his bowed.  My Dad put his arm around Mr. Crowler's shoulder.
It was more than I could bear.  I would find someplace to write, if I could concentrate long enough.
Mr. Crowler's questions lingered with me. What was going on?  What else could happen? How much more could we take?

It was 10:30.  We were about 13 minutes away from finding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment