Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hitting the Beach!



That's not the ocean behind us.

It's a lake, most likely in Muncie, Indiana, from the the summer my Dad took National Science Scholarship courses at Ball State.  But it could be from any number of large lakes around Michigan.  Yes, so large you could not see the other side of the shore.

My mother is probably holding me to keep me out of the water.  We were faithful followers of the thirty minute rule...no going into the water until at least thirty minutes after we ate. When we went to the beach, it was often for many hours, and we would have a lunch of sandwiches and fruit.

The water was almost always calm and clear.  There were no sharks and jellyfish and things that go bump on your knees.  It was often on the cold side, but you would adjust.  There weren't many dramatic waves, unless you were at one of the Great Lakes (and even there not as big as the ocean's).

I enjoyed the sandy beaches when we found them.  I loved building sand castles and sand forts and whole sand villages.  I like to try to bury my sister, but that's a different story.

Even though we were out there for hours, I don't remember having to worry about the sun.  I would actually brown up rather than burn.  Then something happened at puberty, and all my melanin fled, leaving me to burn easily.  One time in my late twenties, I decided to do some yardwork with my shirt off.  I got burned horribly, and I still have freckles on my back just from those couple of hours.  Consequently, this is about the only picture I have of me with my no shirt.

It was great to be little like that, and have no sense of personal vanity, to not worry about the judgement of others.  It got so bad later in life for me, that on our last big family vacation when I was around 17, and we went to the beach in Daytona, I would not go down to the beach, and just stayed in the hotel room reading comics.  My pudgy body and lack of social graces completely embarrassed me.

We went to the beach last month around Fernandina.  For the first time in decades, I went into the water without wearing a t-shirt.  Just like being young, I finally hit an age where I just didn't give a rip what other people thought.  I went into the water to help watch out for my son and his friend.  I was there to watch over him and make sure I was there if he needed help.  I realized that my almost 13 year old didn't need mee to do that anymore.  In fact, the only "rescuing" that was done was my son pulling me up after I had got knocked down by a large wave.  The sensei becomes the master.

I like going to the beach.  I am not as compelled to it as some, but I do like it.  Especially in the Fall, when it's not quite as hot or as crowded.  Thank goodness for SPF gazillion to help protect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment