Monday, March 31, 2014

Just Another Manic Monday....Musing

The calender whittles down to the end of another tax season.  85.714% is now complete.  Two more weekends shortened, and then my schedule changes.

That's the big difference.  Our work at the firm doesn't end, not by any means.  We have routine deadlines connected with payrolls and compilation reports, we have other tax deadlines including non-profits and those who have extended, and we have special audit assignments throughout the year.

But it does mean, for the most part, that I get to resume my 10% retirement, and take most of my Friday's off.  I should be able to concentrate more on writing and performing.  I am very much looking forward to that.

-------------------------------------------

I am of the age where many of the people I know who are of related age (younger or older, but within a decade) are retiring or stepping back significantly in the work world.  It ain't easy to watch, and I struggle to control my jealousy.  But I do like things, such as food and shelter, and I have a boy's college to help with, so I will do what I can.  I think I have kind of a plan, that has several stages moving towards independence, so I will keep that in mind.

--------------------------

Those who read my blog story A Special Moment of Nerd Zen may be interested to know that the boys worked more on the game, Friday and Saturday, and are talking about having more sessions throughout the week.  The game is called To Crown A King, and is inspired by my short story, and my world of Pazoria.  You heard it here first!

--------------------------------

We saw the movie Captain America: The First Avenger this weekend, in preparation for the new Captain America movie, which comes out this weekend, I believe.  Marvel has done an excellent job of weaving their movies together, to form a cohesive and fascinating universe.  They are doing a much better job with their movies than their comic books, which have devolved into an incoherent mess of unrelated and contradictory stories, irrationally renumbering and random numbering without rhyme or reason.

-------------------------

I cannot begin to tell how much I was shattered, sports wise, by the loss of both Michigan and Michigan State, in the NCAA Basketball tournament.  Now there are two SEC teams in the Final Four and only one Big Ten Team, and the same crap I have to listen to about football I now have to listen to about basketball.  It's very depressing.

-----------------------------

I have a story submitted to a contest where the results will be announced Tuesday.  I thought they would inform winners early, and I have heard nothing, so every day that draws closer, I grow more pessimistic.  I need to put more story submissions out there so that I am not so crushed when one is rejected.  Maybe in a few weeks I can get more out there.  I need the illusion that if it wasn't this one, it will be the next one.  Ah, the tricks we play to keep hope alive.

------------------------

The Walking Dead is over for the season, and now we have to wait until October.  Ugh!  Well, at least A Game of Thrones starts Sunday!  Woohoo!

------------------------

Until next time,

T. M. Strait




No comments:

Post a Comment