Saturday, March 1, 2014

Ode to a Teenage Dialogue

"C'mon, Race!  You took me by surprise is all.  You can't just come up to a dude out of the blue, and expect him to be all Oprah like.   It takes a bit to wrap your brain around."
                                                                                               
"By surprise?  Are you kidding me?  You looked shocked, frowned and goosed your face up like somebody farted broccoli, and then said, 'Damn, Race!  I thought you were on the pill or something!' Yeah, just the kind of romantic response I was dreaming about."

"Look, I said I was sorry.  I'm here now, ain't I?"

"Are you, Bobby Ray?  Are you?  Really and truly? "

"Of course I am!  How can you doubt me?"

"Doubt you?  How could I not?  It didn't take you long to cozy up to Susi Kapok, did it?"

"You walked away from me!  What was I supposed to do?  Become a nun?'

"I don't think men can be nuns.  And low long did it take for you to move on to Susi?  A millisecond?  Or maybe she was already there!"

"No!  She threw herself at me!"

"Oh, this bodes so well.  You're about as faithful as a wind sock, turning with every new breeze that comes your way.  What kind of life would that be?"

"I can't help it if you walk away and somebody else wants the Bobby Ray Machine."

"That's disgusting!  Especially when you have somebody you cared for walking around with a bit of 'the Bobby Ray Machine" inside them."

"Sorry, Race.  Yeah, I didn't think it through.  Tell me what you need, Race.  I want to do right by you."

"Right by me?  Well, that is an interesting way to phrase it."
"Huh?  What do you mean?"

"Never mind.  Look, Bobby Ray, I'm sorry.  You can't help being who you are.  And I don't have the energy and desire to change you.  Honestly, at first I wanted your input, your support, but now I don't even care.  I'm making up my own mind, and I don't really expect a damn thing from you."

"What do you think you're going to do?"

"I don't know.  Every time I think about it, I come up with a different answer.  It changes from hour to hour, from thought to thought."

"I'll marry you."

"Ha-ha! Well, you can poof that from your head. That ain't gonna happen."

"Why not?"

"Because....I got plans.  Plans to go to school, plans for a career.  Plans that don't have anything to do with you."

"I'll support you!  I get out of school and I go to work right away with Delco Auto Plaza.  Daddy Delco said I had lots of charm and I could sell cars like candy bars!"

"Cars like....?  Oh, god, you stole that from a commercial! I'm going to college on my own.  I don't need your help."

"You're gonna keep the baby AND go to school?"

"I don't know if I'm keeping the baby or not.  If I do, I won't be the first woman with a kid there, trust me.  If I can afford Georgia Southern or Valdosta, I'll start off at Waycross College, or whatever it's called now."

"Wait, Race!  Georgia Southern?  I've been offered a scholarship there!  Yeah, it's true, my injury caused the big schools like Georgia and Alabama to lose interest, but their offer is still on the table!  We can both go there!  For real!"

"I...don't think so, Bobby Ray.  I...just don't think so."
Why not, Race?  C'mon!  It's a great idea!"

"No, I'm sorry.  It isn't a good idea."

"Why"

"Because...I....I...I just don't love you anymore."

"You...you don't mean it!  You know I love you!"

"I know right this minute you think you do.  But I'm talking about a lifetime.  And I don't think I can do that.  I don't think I can spend a lifetime with you."

"That can't be.  You're just angry, is all.  You get your head clear, and you'll feel different."

"No.....I'm sorry.  I don't think so."

"Well.  I'll do anything.  Keep that in mind.  You decide to, well, you know, I'll get you money for that.  I got some savings.  I don't mind using a little bit of it."

"You mean an abortion?  No, that's off the table now.  I mean, when Pastor Dan and New life came at me, it flashed through me in a moment of anger and weakness to have one, because I didn't want those fanatics telling me what to do.  It was MY decision, not theirs!   But I calmed down and realized that not having one was truly my decision.  What I can't decide is to give it up for adoption or keep it.   That's what I keep trying to figure out. Every second I think I've decided, the next second I change my mind.  And I'm not trying to be mean, Bobby Ray, but you can't be a part of that decision."

"Ok.  I...please, just know, I'm here if you need me, baby. For reals."

"Thank you, Bobby Ray.  And please don't call me baby.  I really don't feel like I'm the baby anymore."

"Got it, sweetcheeks."

"Hands off, Bobby Ray!"

"Sorry, beautiful.  Can't help myself."

"Oh, God, Bobby Ray!  What am I gonna do with you? "

"How about......this?'

"No!"

"Hey!  Don't run off!"

-------------------------------

My Distant Princess
        by Adam Garnett

Though the very forests rage against me
Though the foggy swamps separate thee
From the warm embrace of my unending love
I will find my way to your heart above

I will slay the dragons that make you fear
In my thoughts and prayers I will keep you near
I will stand with you against all onslaught
Your faith in my devotion will never be for naught

Even as you grow with someone else's seed
I promise from me you will never be in need
I will be always there to love you true
I will always be there to rescue you

-------------------------------


Diary Entry, December 7

He came to the Honey Dew again today.  He is still mooning over her!  And her pregnant with Bobby Ray's baby!  I try to be sweet, but he looks right through me.  Like he expects her to come back in at any minute.  I wish he wasn't so cute.  I wish he wasn't so smart.  I've seen his scribbled writings.  I wish he would write me that way.
Crackers!  I have to stop this!  I'm better than this, I swears!  Why can't I be interested in somebody else?  That Lester Bateman was making eyes at me, in that goofy Ghost Squad of my brother's.  I don't want to put on airs.  Honestly, though, I can put up with him being a janitor, and even, god help me,  a redneck.  But him being bone stupid?  Call me fussy, but I just can't put up with that.
Maybe I do need to go out with somebody, though.  Just to shake this obsession with Adam Garnett out a bit.  But who?  Ugh!  There is a downside to small town living.  Too few really good men and too many small town boys.
Oh, well.  Like Scarlett says, "Oh, Fiddledeedee! Tomorrow is another day!"  Well, something like that.

Goodnight, dear diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment