Sunday, March 9, 2014

Stories from a Stony Land: The Last Will and Testament of Mary Long Straight

The Last Will and Testament of Mary (Long) Straight

My father continues his research into our early family with more court documents.  It is a natural consequence of reaching that far back, but is revealing of the differences and similarities of that time with ours.  This was written in 1750, seven years before her death in 1757.  I have tried to preserve my father's recording of it as accurately as possible.


In the name of God, Amen, the fifteenth day of September in the year of our Lord God One Thousand Seven Hundred & Fifty, I, Mary Straight of East Greenwich in the county of Providence in the colony of Rhode Island, & a widow being weak in body by reason of age, but of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God; therefore calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, have made this to my last will and testament, that is to say principally and first of all, I recommend my soul into the hands of God that gave it; and my body I recommend to the earth to be buried in a Christian like and decent manner at the discretion my Executor hereafter named, nothing doubting but I shall receive the same the same a gain; at Resurrection at the last day, and as for the earthly estate where with it pleased God to bless me with, in this life I give demise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form ------------
First I will that me debts that I engrtght (??? - not able to translate word here from my Dad's notes) or conscience owe any person or persons; with my funeral charges be paid and discharged in convenient time after my decease ---------
Item: I give and bequeath unto my beloved grandson John Straight now residing in Coventry my feather bed and coverhead and bolster and piller and bedstead; and one puter platter marked N.S. and one pair of tonges to him my said grandson John Straight his heirs and assigns forever-----------likewise  I give and bequeath unto my aforesaid grandson John Straight my iron kittle to him and his heirs and assigns forever--------------
Item: I give and bequeath unto my cozen Thomas Shippey my iron pot to him his heirs and assigns forever-------------
Item: I give and bequeath unto my cozen Sarah Bentley my two quart puter bayson, to her, her heirs and assigns forever-------------
Item: I give and bequeath to my cozen Anne Spink my three pint puter bayson to her, her heirs and assigns forever-------------
Item: I give and bequeath to my sister Shippey widow my clothes box, to her, her heirs and assigns forever--------------
Item: My will is that my loving cozen John Tarbox sell my cow after my deceased and pay to my grandson John Straight's seven children: ten shillings apeice (VIZ)  (my Dad wrote in notes here to indicate that a pound was roughly 20 shillings, and that one shilling was 12 pence (pennies)): to Thomas, to Phebe, to William, to Hannah, to Henry, to John and Job: to each ten shillings as aforesaid, and the rest to defray my funeral; with all the rest and residue of my estate I give and bequeath to: aforesaid cozen John Tarbox, whom I make and appoint whole and sole executor of this last will and testament; utterly revoking all other and former wills and bequests whatsoever ratifying and confirming & no other be my last will and testament:
In witness wherof I have hereunto set my hand seal ye day and year above written------------
Signed sealed published pronounced and declared in the presences of us

Here follows names of witness and the county clerk, and finally Mary Long Straight.  As mentioned earlier, Mary lived a long life, dying in 1757 at 92.  Whether this was truly the final will or not, I don't know.  It is the one in the records that my father was able to find.




No comments:

Post a Comment