Monday, October 16, 2017

Give It Away Now Monday Musings

Rob Patton, who was kind enough to invite me as a guest author at Wayne County High School's Min-Con, holds a copy of History of the Trap, given away as a door prize.  I was happy that the person who won it decided to keep it.


Attending the Wayne County High School was an interesting and positive experience.  No, I didn't sell any books, but I did meet people and helped hone my presentation of my books.

I prepared a Google Slide presentation to be presented at the Author's panel that I was a part of.  Thanks to Benjamin, I was able to scratch out something the day before the event.  As I gain experience in its operation, I hope to improve substantially on it.

I still struggled with the pitch for History of the Trap.  Somehow starting out by saying "Imagine going to high school one day, and finding yourself trapped there for the next ten years!" just doesn't have the effect that I hoped.  Most who hear it react along the lines of "What a nightmare!  I can't imagine being trapped in high school!  How horrible!"  This is true whether you were a student, teacher, or someone who hadn't attended high school in decades.  Once people read the book, they enjoy it. But it's getting them to crack it open that's the problem.  I'm working on it.

Another plus was that the person who won a copy of Here Comes Tommy was very excited about it, and came by for me to personalize the copy.

--------------------------------

Football is about over at the Strait house.  Michigan will not be the national champion.  Detroit was crushed by New Orleans.  Speaking of Give It Away Now, the Atlanta Falcons certainly gave it away to the Miami Dolphins.  Up 17 - 0 at the half, they lose 20 - 17.  The theme the Falcons hit in the Super Bowl continues.

There is also the injury factor in football. Players get injured at such a rate that it's hard to follow favorite players, or get a dependable group playing games.  Aaron Rodgers has been such a warhorse for the Green Bay Packers, it's hard to believe he's likely going to be gone for the rest of the season.

Then there's the incredible rate of long term brain damage that results from football. It's very depressing to think about, and makes me wonder what exactly it is I'm devoting my time to.

As far as the kneeling, I sympathize fully with the message the kneeling players are standing.  I may not do it myself, but I have no problem with their doing it.  If we don't have the option to stand, kneel , or even ignore, the national anthem, then the freedoms so many have fought for mean absolutely nothing.

--------------------------------

This is the last day to enter into the OHC Writing Contest.  I wanted to create a new poem and short story just for the contest, but with the plays I had to concentrate on, I have been unable to generate new works.  

Well, I'm still going to try.  I only have a few hours left.

Wish me luck.

Until next time, 

T. M. Strait








No comments:

Post a Comment