Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Return of the Wednesday Wanderings!

Symbol of Augusta University, our first visit on Benjamin's College tour.


It's been awhile, but....it's Wednesday. So, therefore, I wander!

--------------------------

It's time to start thinking about it.  Benjamin is in his Junior year, and it is time to begin consideration of where he might go to college.  First up was a visit to Augusta University this last Saturday.

The main campus was very nice.  The staff and students were very friendly.  It had a tremendous disadvantage in that the freshman dorms were on a separate campus, several miles away from where Benjamin would have classes.  There were also few students on campus that Saturday, as I suspect it was largely a commuter college, with many of the students going home on weekends.  With Benjamin being three hours away and most likely without a car, trips home would be fairly rare, which would many weekends on a semi-deserted campus.

I did learn something about Benjamin's current academic and career interest, as I listened to him talk to the chair of the Psychological Sciences.  His major interests were Psychology and ....... Robotics.  Now, at first blush, those two may seem uncombinable, but think about it.  Robotics and A.I. are becoming increasingly sophisticated, accomplishing more and more that people normally do.  I can easily see a new concentration in psychology, dealing with how people cope with A.I., how to relate to it, and how to deal with their encroachment into people's lives, at home and in the workplace.

-------------------------------------

I have decided to enter the NaNoWriMo contest in November.  That is a challenge to write 50,000 words of a novel in a one month period.  I think I may finally have the time, and I believe that my book idea, The Extra Credit Club, is strong enough to catch the attention of other contestants and provide a means to promote my other writings.  Want to know more?  I should be posting some of my segments of the novel to the blog.  Just enough to whet your appetite.

----------------------------------------

Watching football is often a Charlie Brown experience for Alison and me.  I don't know how many years we've gotten our hopes up, only to see them dashed to the ground.  Of the teams we follow, only the Georgia Bulldogs remain a contender.  Go Dawgs!

---------------------------------------

I remain way behind on the DVR.  Most of what I'm behind in are my own shows, or the ones I watch with Benjamin.  Of the new shows this year, we like The Orville, Ghosted, and The Gifted. We've only seen the first episode of The Inhumans, and I'm intrigued, but reserving judgment.  I will say this about it - it's got more of a comic book feel than some of the same genre shows on the air.  It unapologetically throws you into a new world and established super-powered characters right off, without the usual fear of costumes and powers that you see in some (Smallville - ten years and one glimpse of a costume). 

------------------------------------

I'm glad that some Republicans are stepping forward to talk about what a travesty the Trump Presidency is.  I'm less happy that it's only the ones that are out of power or quitting that are doing it.  I won't believe we've turned a corner until those politicians who are still competing for votes turn on him.  And while we're at it, if you voted for him, what's your excuse for not turning on him yet?  When are you going to recognize him for the malignant, incompetent, unqualified, bullying narcissist that he is?

I'm waiting.  I'm praying.  The nation's fate depends upon you.


















No comments:

Post a Comment