Thursday, October 19, 2017

Multiple Stages Part One

Second Grade:

Hansel & Gretel
They gave me the lead!
The school packed with students and parents
I scattered breadcrumbs
Bending over
My pants splitting
My first play
Was a mooning all across the second grade

But still I kept on

Sixth Grade:

The Little Match Girl
I had no lines
I was a shopkeeper in one short scene
But mostly I was to operate the stage spotlight
Shine it on the beautiful Kathy Jahncke
Our lovely match girl
She sang so beautifully
I was mesmerized
Until I heard the Director's voice cut sharply through:
TURN...THE...LIGHT...ON!!!
No more backstage work for me.

But I still kept on.

Eighth Grade:

The Talent Show
I was to be emcee
And sing a song
Only I forgot to memorize it
The Battle Hymn of the Republic
I sang a few lines and then stared with fright at the audience
Saying
Christ!  Look at all the people!
After that
I was banned from the stage for the rest of Junior High

But still I kept on

High School:

Harvey
I gave up football to try out for the school play
Because I thought
Chicks Dig Actors!
Yeah
Not so much in high school
Got a small part playing a very elderly judge
Stole Johnathan Winter's Maude Frickert accent
I came out for curtain
The applause swelled
I was hooked for good

Two or three plays a year for the rest of high school
Drama, Comedy, and even a musical
Mad Scientist in Superman
For this comic fan, a dream come true

And, yes, still I kept on

College:

No plays for Baby Tommy
U-M was a big ol' scary place
Did join the Men's Glee Club
Another mistaken way to meet chicks
Got a solo in Officer Krupke
Singing like an elderly female social worker.
Went on tour
Sang at Carnegie Hall
They interrupted the song to applaud me
Big night
By myself, no one to tell, age before cell phones
So I cried
Happy but lonely
no one to share it with
Success at Carnegie Hall

Still I kept on

Cartersville:

Inherit the Wind
My favorite play
Competed for lead but fell just short
So upset I punched a hole in my car
This Yankee got a part
Playing a SOUTHERN teacher
Even I wasn't a star
It was great to be in
Pre-regular run performed before high schoolers
I tripped going up the stairs in first scene
The high schools laughed uproariously
It wasn't supposed to be funny
Oh, well

Still I kept on

Next play I was the lead
The Mousetrap
Won Best Actor Award

Next play I was the lead
Send me No Flowers
Won Best Actor Award

Oh, yes indeedy
I kept on!


TO BE CONTINUED!!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment