Monday, November 12, 2018

Coming Home to Dogsville Monday Musings


This is a time of year I very much look forward to (notice I used the word very there?  Grammarly don't like that.  Yeah, well, sometimes I don't like Grammarly).  Work time is minimal, and I get more time here with my dog crew.  There's a cat here somewhere too, but we won't talk about that.

Here the crew is waiting for someone to come home.  It's not me, though.  I'm already home.



It's him.  Benjamin.  Coming home from school.

I'm old hat now.

----------------------------------

Alison and I were in Albany this weekend, attending Diocesan Convention along with Alison's mother, Rose and Rev Kit.  I had never been to Albany before.  It was nice.  They had a lot of downed trees from a recent hurricane. 

The services were the highlight of the convention.  There was a lot of good singing and worship.  There was a lot about our camp, Honey Creek, which has been very (hey, Grammarly!  I'll use very if'n want to, beeyotch!) significant in Benjamin's life, having attended many summer camps there.  They have come up with a reasonable plan to retire Honey Creek debt and to build up a fund for future needs. 

Bishop Benhase  announced he would be retiring, for health reasons.  He has been an excellent leader for our diocese, and he will be difficult to replace.

My biggest concern about the Episcopal Church is that it is aging, and the young are not flocking to it in sufficient numbers to sustain growth.  This is not a problem unique to our denomination.  It's just frustrating because I honestly believe that we are a church that should be more appealing to millennials and even younger groups.

I have no magic answers, but I am aware of what a serious problem it is.


-----------------------------------------


Alison and I are both ecstatic that the Atlanta United won their initial playoff round, and will play in the Eastern Conference finals.  They beat the New York City Football Club and now will play the New York Red Bulls for the right to go to the Championship game.  My gosh!  New York!  New York!  Deja vu!

------------------------------------

There are some election results still in flux.  Special message to both sides -

CHILL OUT!

Let the votes be counted, and the results play out!  Who cares who concedes or doesn't?  Nothing matters until the votes are certified.

The longer range problem is the effect that public officials who control elections being able to run for other offices and then influence the results.  Governor Rick Scott and Secretary of State Brian Kemp should have recused himself from these elections a long time ago!  It's a bipartisan problem and needs to be addressed.  And yes, voter suppression is real and makes a tremendous difference in these close elections.

My predictions?  If all votes are counted, as rightfully should be done, the Democrat Sinema wins in Arizona, and Gillum and Nelson win in Florida.  Sadly, I don't see a runoff happening in Georgia between Kemp and Abrams.  There's been too much voter suppression and nonsense for her to overcome

----------------------------------

My writing focus is on The Extra Credit Club.  The market I wanted to send it to is now asking for shorter novels than what I intended The Extra Credit Club to be.  I am trying very hard with my writings, but I am the worst publicist on Earth. 

I do think I am going to take my winning poem and see if I can find a market that publishes mystery/horror poems.  Even if published, it would probably only get me nickels, but at least I would be able to call myself a 'published author'.

Sigh.  Even that is probably out of reach.

-----------------------

My other flaw, a complete lack of mechanical and building skills, blocks me from doing something I would love to do, and I believe that I could do at a level that would earn me enough money to step away from accounting, and that is being a narrator/voice artist for books and such. 

That, and barking dog that would disrupt recordings.

Still, dogs...gotta love 'em.  They are wonderful to come home to. Or stay home with.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait












No comments:

Post a Comment