Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Sunset Over Beaufort Wednesday Wanderings


This was last week. We took a short mini-vacation in Beaufort, South Carolina.  This is the view of the sunset from the deck of our vrbo rental.  Vrbo stands for vacation rentals by owner.  I don't think it's completely independent.  Somewhere there is a big corporation making some money - shared advertising resources, maybe?

Anyway, it was a great time.  The place we stayed in was very nice and relatively secluded.  The town was quaint, not super crowded, and all the stores and masks required signs, which everyone followed without fuss or muss.  There were no contradictory snotty signs that said this was store was not going to 'inforce"* the city ordinance, as I have seen in both Waycross and Milledgeville.  I didn't even see the waiver of liability signs that tell customers that they can't sue if they come into your establishment and get sick as a result.

It's a shame when you feel safer on vacation than you do at home.

----------------------------------------------

How are you, Tom?  Thanks for asking.  I continue to have knee and foot pains, but their severity has been reduced.  If I'm cautious, I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

I'm using a medicine/salve called Voldemort**, and I put marijuana*** on my foot (until I runned out- now I'm going to go back to my dealer****).

I think I've figured out that my condition is aggravated when I sit too long in certain positions.  This would explain why it happens more on vacation, where I have long car rides or plane trips.  

I don't think it was the car trip to Beaufort - that was less than three hours away. I think it was the five days glued to the desktop waiting for the election results to come in.  I really wanted to be there when Trump officially lost the election.  Ironically, it happened when I had finally given up and had gone out for a short walk.  

If only I had interrupted for more short walks, I wouldn't be as messed up as I am.

For the whole election chronicle, please see my whole series entitled "Sort of a Live Blog."


----------------------------------------------------------

I won't dwell more on the election here, as I have plenty of other blog stories about it.  Suffice to say, it has consumed me this month.

--------------------------------------

The Michigan Wolverines are terrible this year.  And...so what?  This is not the year for records and championships.  This is the year for just praying that the students, staff, and others involved remain safe. Should Harbaugh be replaced?  Not something to deal with this year.  The students need continuity now more than anything else.  I have a feeling Harbaugh will find another opportunity at season's end, and Michigan will be spared having to outright fire him.

---------------------------------

COVID-19 spread and destruction are worse than ever right now. They warned us that if we did not get a handle on it by now, that it would rage in the Fall.  It was ignored in many areas, and lo and behold, it is now raging out of control.

It has been demonstrated over and over, in different states and other countries, that mask-wearing, social distancing, testing, and contact tracing can bring this under control.  In some cases, lockdowns may be necessary.  

This is not an issue of personal liberty.  This is an issue of personal responsibility, of giving a damn about your fellow man.  I am so disgusted by those who've turned it into a political issue.

----------------------------------

I am reading Uncle Vanya by Anton Chekov, a play set in rural Russia.  It's in the public domain, so I'm thinking of updating to recent times and place it in South Georgia, with the goal of it being performed by a local theatre group.  

What I need to do is find an editable PDF version that will allow me to make changes.  To rewrite it from scratch might take me forever.

And I don't know if I want to sit forever in front of this computer to do it.  Not after what I've been through this last week. Viva la get up and stretch my legs more frequently.  Hopefully, I've learned my lesson.

----------------------------

Benjamin should be home early next week!  He still will have a couple of finals after Thanksgiving, but those will be online, which he can take at home. Then he'll be home until mid-January.

There was an outbreak at his college earlier in the semester, but that settled down after the College President threatened to crack down on those who were going off-campus for large parties. Benjamin has been super careful since Day One.

--------------------------------

Well, I won't bore you anymore.  For those who keep up with my blog, I appreciate you more than you know.  I'd share my writings even if it was just me and you and a dog named Boo, but it's nice to have reading friends.

Wanderingly Yours,

T. M. Strait

* seriously, a business in the area proudly displayed a sign that spelled enforcement as inforcement.

**Voltaren - sorry, it's not as funny as calling it Voldemort.

***Before I'm reported, I'm talking about a Hemp rub.

****by dealer, I mean Amazon.




















No comments:

Post a Comment