Monday, September 10, 2012

A Long Season Begins and Other Monday Musings

A long season of college football begins.  I am a Michigan Wolverine fan, and it does appear to be a long, rough season ahead.  I have a lot of faith in Coach Brady Hoke, and I believe they will improve as the season progresses.  At least one can hope.

Meanwhile, based on their disastrous performance against Alabama, I'm going to have to listen to another full year of "SEC is the only football conference that counts" talk.  I am so sick of it I could chuck a tuna bunwich!

How bad is the "SEC is king"  bias around here?  I advocate that a college football championship should be against conference champions.  The top five or six champions automatically qualify for a national championship playoff, with the remainder being wild cards selected by polls/coaches/computer or whatever. I mean, conferences should MEAN something, and winning a conference championship should MEAN something.  But oh, that's not good enough for the SEC fanatics around here.  They're not going to be happy until an unlimited number of SEC teams can qualify.  You just can't bend far enough backwards for them!

It's the start of a long pro football season.  Both the Atlanta Falcons and the Detroit Lions got off to winning games, which we're grateful for, but there are many tough opponents and games ahead.  It is discouraging around where we live that there are so many Jacksonville Jaguar fans.  We live in GEORGIA, not FLORIDA, people.  C'mon!

It's the beginning of a long play season.  I have made a larger commitment to the Flying Dragon than I expected with their production of Robin Hood.  I have taken on the task of writing the script.  I am writing as fast as I can, and have one scene left in the first act.  Unfortunately, the start of rehearsals are just days away and the cast needs to be solidified.  Wish me luck.

Benjamin begins a long season of band.  He has his Baritone Horn, and he's doing pretty good, but we are having a hard time enforcing home practice.  Any band parents out there, please let me know.  how much do they really practice at home?  I have no direct experience with it, and can't tell if he's able to skate, or if we should be enforcing a practice time.

It's a long season of accounting leading up to tax season.  We have corporate deadlines the 15th, and final individual deadlines October 15th.  As the holidays approach and pass, I partly enjoy them, and I partly click off more time that brings me closer to the submarine ride that encompasses January through mid-April.

A long new TV season is about to start.  I hope to do a Ripping good Yarn blog post detailing the good, the bad and the ugly of that.

It's a long, hard political season.  I love politics, but I am not looking forward to the barrage of negative ads headed our way, particularly from the wealthy super-donors of Mitt Romney, including the Koch Brothers, Sheldon Adelson, and the Super PAC of Karl Rove.

It's a season for a final countdown to the marriage of Doug and Ramya.  It has been interesting ride in preparing, and there have been enough twists and turns to make me feel like I'm in the movie Father of the Bride (even though I am the father of the groom).  I know, however, as it gets closer, there will be many moments to treasure.

Life is busy, but life is good!

Until next time,

T.M. Strait


No comments:

Post a Comment