Thursday, September 27, 2012

Traveling Dreams and Distant Ports

I like to travel.  I really do.  It just doesn't always happen.

I have bemoaned America's lack of vacation travel in other posts.  Suffice to say American traveling, specifically tourist-style vacations, are becoming a thing of the past, at least for wide swaths of people in this country.

I did a lot more traveling before I graduated from college.  My Dad got science/math teacher scholarships in the summer, and we would travel to distant places like Oregon and California so he could attend universities there.  My parents also owned a travel trailer, and they would go to a national rally in the summer, to places like Wyoming and Kentucky.  In college, I was in a singing group that toured across the country.

I have seen virtually every state in the continental United States.  I have only been out of country to see Canada, and then some Disney island in the Bahamas.

As an adult, most of my trips have been to Michigan to see family.  I have been to New York City and Washington, DC a couple of times.  The grandest trip was a couple of days in Las Vegas when I turned 50.  And, of course, living only three hours from Orlando, we've seen many of the attractions there.

Recently, when Doug (my middle son) and his fiancee' began to contemplate where their wedding would be, we prepared ourselves for it's potential exotic location.  At first we though it might be in India, and we researched how we might handle a trip to Bangalore.  Then we thought it might be in California, near the San Francisco area - that was quite exciting to think about!  Then it looked like it might be Atlanta, and then maybe Tybee Island near Savannah  Finally, the location was settled. It was going to be the far-off, exotic location of - St. Simon's Island.  Which is about an hour from.  Which we have been to many, many times.

Oh, well.  We've been saving for Ireland, a trip for Alison and me.  So maybe someday.

I'll keep dreaming those traveling dreams to distant ports!

No comments:

Post a Comment