Monday, October 22, 2012

Shifting Grounds and other Monday Musings

I think we sold our house.

Nothing is certain in real estate, I guess.  But they made an offer. we countered, than they countered that, and we counter-countered that, and they agreed and we all signed it.  If everything goes according to plan, then we will booted from this house on December 7th, Benjamin's 12th birthday,

I think we may have bought another house.  At least we're putting in an offer today.  It is a house in the neighborhood of Alison's first choice.  It is a fixer-upper, one that will need a lot of updating, a type of house I never really wanted to get.  But it is a great layout, with sound construction, a nice lot in a very good area.  We will probably have to live in a rental or something for a few months.

I'm afraid that I am becoming a disappointment to the local Democratic parties around here.  I haven't followed through with some of the meetings and phone calls that they wanted.  I haven't had the time that I thought I would, being consumed with writing and directing Robin Hood, work, my son's upcoming wedding and our impending move.  But I also am no good at, and not to be trusted , when it comes to phones calls and contacting people.  I am not outgoing, and it's one of the things that have hurt me most in trying to participate in politics.

I'm not afraid about expressing my beliefs, as anyone who follows my blog can attest to.  But blog writing and phone calling or going door to door are separate skills.  So, it may be best to be content with knowing that I do what I do, and I do the best I can at it, rather than hoping I am something that I'm not.

I am concerned in this area, with the large majorities for Romney here, that it is becoming very unpleasant for our children here, especially those ones who are courageous enough to be Obama supporters.  My son has been "Republican-bushed" at school, with kids ganging up on him to chant about how Obama is gay and his children were adopted, and that Michelle is actually Michael.  Another pro-Obama student was harangued about Obama being a Muslim. 

If I lived in an area that was 90% Obama, and Romney kids were being picked on and indoctrinated this way. I promise you, I would be just as upset.

This is a high stakes election.  I would love to pretend to you that the outcome of this election doesn't matter. But it does.  Who we elect as President will make a huge difference to our country and the world as we move forward   I am quite clear in my mind which direction I want us to go.  It is very difficult for me to view this election through calm eyes.

But whichever way it turns out, where I'm living will treat the side that I prefer as anti-Christian pariahs   It just won't stop being uncomfortable here no matter what.  Either we get attacked for not agreeing with the Great and Powerful President Romney, or we listen to four more years of what a demonic monster President Obama is.

Even though I am not a phone caller, a door-to-door person, or much of a meeting goer, I will speak out in my own ways and methods.  You can rest assured I will not be intimidated into silence.

Until next time,

T.M. Strait

1 comment:

  1. Calm down. The world will keep spinning long after my next birthday. Kids are ignorant and silly, attention seeking drones; it is their job. There is plenty of hope for all of them to attain some level of intelligence, and success. Whomever our President is, we will support, as Americans, we all are.

    ReplyDelete