Friday, October 26, 2012

This is Not the Friday You Were Looking For

No History of the Trap yet.  It may not happen this weekend.  It certainly won't next weekend, what with my son's wedding.  And then the next two weekends are occupied with the play Young Robin Hood.  And then rapidly follow the move and the holidays, which brings me into tax season.  So hopefully I will get back on track sometime, but it looks hard.  I don't want to turn into George R. R. Martin.

For the first time in my life, I'm getting a little tired of politics.  I'm just to the point where it so discouraging.  Mitt Romney is such an obviously unqualified candidate, and his running mate such an incredible extremist, that I find it hard to believe that they are in contention at all.  And of course, it is highly unpleasant to be in this area here where Romney signs are everywhere, coating the streets like amber waves of grain.  It doesn't matter whether I use soft respectful tactics or more intense satire, anything I say is completely dismissed or disregarded.  And with the play, and my own sense of shyness, I have not lived up to my share of participation with the small band of local liberals here.  So I've fallen down even in that.

In addition to the History of the Trap  I wonder if this blog is the proper venue for my stories and poems.  I'm not sure at all that I'm capable of making money with what I write, but it certainly won't be the blog.  Do I enjoy writing?  Yes, I do.  But I long to be an author.  Someone really published, someone really making money, no matter how small.  And I'm not really sure this is the place to do that.  I have watched people that I know shoot right past me in utilizing eBooks and self-publishing.  But it's hard to do in the half hour or so I have in the mornings, and the sporadic other times that I get to write, especially fiction.

I'm not sure about the personal sharing aspect of the blog.  Is it entertaining, or is just vanity?  Is it just over sharing gone out of control?  I know that this is a frequent criticism  of blogs, and I'm well aware that this entry falls well into that category. Where everything is about ME! ME! ME!  Hard to balance between being interesting or that guy when you come over to his house shows you way too many slides and home movies about his family.

I tried to launch Ripping Good Yarns, both here and on Facebook, and I must not be devoting enough time or energy to it.  Even though I left the voting up for several weeks on the Hall of Fame movie, it only got ten votes.  Probably if the whole blog was devoted to that one topic, it might have a better shot, but I'm not really interested in doing that.

In fact, everything I've read or seen indicates that blogs do better when they focus on one niche, one central theme.  But if my true joy is writing a diversity of things, how can I do that?  It's a dilemma.

So, even though I am sometimes discouraged, I will keep plugging away.  Hopefully, those who follow will find the stuff they like.  I will continue to post a variety, for better or worse  and use the label thing, which I hope helps people search and focus on what they're really interested in. But who knows?




No comments:

Post a Comment