Monday, March 25, 2013

Neighborly Hospitality and Other Monday Musings

Saturday my church, Grace Episcopal, held a cookout at the Hotel Ware apartment building.  It was originally scheduled to be outside, but it started to a-come up a-gully washer, and the festivities were moved indoors.

Fitting with biblical tradition, bread symbolized as the gift of welcoming, and a loaf was made for every resident of Hotel Ware.

Hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, cole slaw, and condiments galore!



The Hotel Ware is only about a block from our church, and this cookout was designed as a neighborly gesture.  Around three dozens residents two dozen church members participated.  It was intended to be outdoors, but a driving rainstorm brought us to move inside.  It was a very nice experience, and led to some great community bonding.

Ware Hotel is a great old building in downtown Waycross, the tallest structure in the town, which is only seven stories, but that's all it takes to be number one.  It has a great mix of residents, who enjoy the view and the walking proximity to shopping and downtown Waycross.

My father in Michigan has been getting around in part due to a Hover Round Scooter at the Independence Village where he lives.  Unfortunately his driving has become more erratic recently, and for his sake and the sake of the other residents, the scooter had to be taken away.  My father is very depressed over this, and I very saddened for him too.  He has to make so many adjustments as he has aged.  I was hoping this was one he wouldn't have to give up.

My son Doug was in California and was flying back last night.  Soon he may be going out there to live, and then both of my older boys will be in California.  I need to discover some Texas Tea so I can move out there too.

I love movies but our lifestyle is not such where we see many.  We tried to watch Rock of Ages over the course of a day.  Alison liked it okay, but some of the blander 80s songs, and the unimaginative plotting got to me after awhile, so I missed chunks of it.

The Graduate rehearsals are coming together.  We have a great cast, and it is a great selfish pleasure to just get up onstage and act and not have to worry about other parts of it.  The lead part of Elaine came open again, but I was delighted that Taryn Spires accepted the part.  She is one of the most gifted young actresses in our area, and really helps bring our cast together.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment