Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Claddagh Ring Around My Heart



Faith and begorrah, Happy St. Paddy's Day to ya!

What does this mean to me?  I'm not a very big drinker (I can blaze through a six-pack in about two years time), so I have no alcohol-fueled memories.

I remember the whole "pinch 'em if they're not wearing green" thing back in elementary school.  As if bullies needed one more excuse to torture me.

I remember over the years a lot of green dyed food.

I remember it all of a sudden occurring to people that they had Irish ancestry.  It is certainly in mine, in the Eurovision collage that represents my genetic background.  President Obama has some Irish roots.  It is hard for family lines to live and descend in this country for any length of time and not have them!

I remember Benjamin's first high school, in which Benjamin was just a third grader, being an Irish Play where he had 56 lines, that he performed in in Irish accent!!!

And I remember a St. Patrick's Day looking for a four clover for a certain someone and it hitting me like a ton of bricks, like the moon hitting my eye like a big pizza pie, like a claddagh ring being hung around my heart and soul, that I was completely and irretrievably in love with that certain someone, and that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

And now, after more than a decade and a half together, we plot and scrimp and save that someday we may make a special trip to.....

Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment