Friday, March 29, 2013

Ripping Good Yarns: The Joy of Saturn Awards


Ripping Good Yarns has found an award ceremony that it wants to adopt, at least in letting you know about and use as a discussion point for us.

The Saturn Awards are awards that are now in their 39th year, and are designed the best in genre movies and television.  Like Ripping Good Yarns, it focuses on fictional stories told in a dramatic and exciting style.

They are occasionally on TV, I think most recently on Spike TV.  The awards garner much less attention than other awards, but I think they are quite entertaining.  You can become a member and vote!  Just google Saturn Awards or try www.saturnawards.org.

First up for discussion - the nominees for best science fiction film:


THE AVENGERS    
Marvel / Walt Disney Pictures
CHRONICLE           
20th Century Fox
CLOUD ATLAS        
Warner Bros.
THE HUNGER GAMES  
Lionsgate
LOOPER   
Sony Pictures
PROMETHEUS     
20th Century Fox

Ok...now I'm writing in a black background.  Well, no time to fix now.  Enjoy the different!


First up, unlike the Academy Awards, I've actually already seen half of these.  Chronicle was a very interesting coming-of-age movie, with what teenagers might really do with super-powers.  I enjoyed this movie and would give it an 8.   

The Hunger Games was fiercely entertaining, but I had trouble with the fact that their little
elimination contest was focused on CHILDREN.  Nevertheless, I would give it a 7.

I have not seen Cloud Atlas, Looper or Prometheus, but I very much look forward to doing so.

I have no doubt that the best of this group by far is Marvel's The Avengers. This was a
comic fan's dream come to life, directed by one of the real greats of our time, Joss Whedon. 
I would definitely give The Avengers an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.  This is what moveies
were made for!

I really, really look forward to your input!  More nominees later and I will work hard at eliminating the black background!




No comments:

Post a Comment