Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Where Would You Like To Go?

If you had a week to go someplace, where would you like to go?  Disregarding places with family you may want to visit.

I went into the refrigerator this morning to get the creamer for the coffee, and I saw a carton of Half and Half that had bannered on the top  WIN A TRIP TO COSTA RICA!  I told Alison "What is that?  Some kind of punishment or threat?"  She said some people like that type of place, with the beach and the jungle.

Well, we all are individuals, aren't we?  Going to a third world country where the weather is hotter than it is here is not my idea of an ideal vacation.  I wonder how big their insects really are.  We do go South for weekend vacations sometimes, to St. Augustine, Daytona or Orlando.  Usually when we go it is not the height of the summer season.

High on our list would be California.  I would love to see Los Angeles, San Francisco and the San Diego Zoo.  But my bringing up California is cheating in a way, as that is where my son Greg lives, and likely very soon my son Douglas as well. So, yes, if we went California it would be in large part to spend time with family.

I love going to New York city, but I have been there several times, and Alison and Benjamin are going there in May (without me, alas - sniff sniff! - school trip taking one parent only to save costs).  I've traveled through most every state in the continental United States.

So where would we like to go?



IRELAND!!!!

Amazingly, except for Canada and some baby steps onto a Bahama island during a Disney cruise, I have never been out of country.  Both Alison and I want to visit the countryside, stay in a cottage, visits some castles, travel the coasts.  Dublin would be okay to see, too, but it's mostly the countryside we dream about.

We've been saving for years, and are trying to figure out the time.  The time to do it always seems to be a year away, and it never gets any closer.  But it's good to have to dream about, especially when I am in the deepest, darkest part of tax season.

So if you had a week and the money, where would you dream about going?

3 comments:

  1. I am dying to go to Ireland. Probably though, If I had the week and the money, I would take the family to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago my answer would have been to go to Africa on a safari but as I have gotten older I am not positive that would now be at the top of the list. My answer today would be to go to Santorini, Greece. Daughter #2 went there a couple of years ago while living in London and it looks to be one of the most beautiful places I could imagine. We sent daughter #1 to Costa Rica for her honeymoon. I would like to see that too. Years ago daughter #1 and I went to China. That was a wonderful trip. Quite a while ago daughter #2, Tim and I went to Cancun with a large group of kids and their parents for their senior trip. It was terribly expensive, something we really didn't have the money for and yet I said Yes, and made the plans to go. It was one of the most beautiful places we have seen, our hotel was amazing; it was a really nice vacation. We always wanted to take daughter #1 and go back as a family. Now with health issues, we realize that won't happen. Plan your trip Alison and Tom, and go. Somehow it will get paid for, you will work it out, but GO! Don't wait. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! When I was a child, my Dad would get National Science Scholarships and we could to different places in the summer where he would go to a university and we would stay. In travelling to do that, we got to see most of the continental United States. My adulthood has been different, with significant less travel. Most of my vacations have been in Michigan. But I agree, it's something Alison and I need to do soon!

    ReplyDelete