Monday, July 22, 2013

History of the Crab Trap and Other Monday Musings



Better late than never.

Alison and her mother wanted to go to Crab Trap.  It seemed like the perfect Mother's Day present.  But I found out that they didn't open until 5 and took no reservations.  They agreed they would not want to go all the way to St. Simon's on a Sunday (about an hour's drive for us), and wait an unknown amount of time just to be seated.  So they delayed the trip until a day that they would be comfortable with.

On Friday, July 19th, that day finally came.  As you can see by the above picture, they are at the Crab Trap, their son/grandson standing in-between them.

The Crab Trap is a long time mainstay on St. Simon's.  I'm not a huge seafood fan, particularly of shrimp, but this one has a unique appeal for Alison and her mother.  They have exceptional double-battered french fries, and for Benjamin and me there is a hole in the middle of the table in-which we can toss trash or whatever else we can think of.

Better late than never.

I finally got to see the musical Bye Bye Birdie, put on in Alma at the Bacon County theatre.  I was by myself, and it was their very last showing.  This is a shame because then I have no opportunity to promote the play while its run is on.  And it was a very good play.  Blake Kildow as Conrad Birdie is a standout.  His opening musical number is one of the best I have ever seen in community theater.  I got chills knowing I was watching something extra special.  Many others were very impressive, including Leah Walker Miles as Albert's mother, and Sara Crutcher as the teenage girl who is supposed to get kissed by Conrad Birdie on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Better late than never.

We celebrated Alison's father's wife Glenda's birthday Saturday night, with a grill out at our house, and family game night, where I inexplicably beat everybody at UNO.

Better late than never.

I only added one story to the blog this weekend.  I'm not quite sure why.  In the wake of the AdSense tragedy and dropping numbers, I've had a little trouble keeping my game face on.  I'm going have to continue to retool my thinking and see how this blog fits in with things,

Until next time,

T.M. Strait


No comments:

Post a Comment