Monday, July 1, 2013

The Strait Boys At the Park and Other Monday Musings



Play ball!

The Strait boys had a glorious meetup at Turner Field for a first-class comeback victory by the Atlanta Braves.  From left to right is Doug, our Atlanta resident and environmental scientist, who recently finished his Master's degree at Georgia Tech.  In the middle is 12 year old Benjamin, who starts 7th grade in the Fall, is currently volunteering at the Humane Society, and is passionate about robotics, ninjas and video games. And at the right end is Greg, who lives in California and has made a career in the film industry as an editor and colorist.

The three are not able to get together often, so this weekend was a special treat.  The highlight was the Braves game on Saturday.  It was a close game, with the Arizona Diamondbacks (who were probably grateful to be here rather than the incredible heat wave in Phoenix) leading 5 to 4, when the Braves exploded for 7 runs in the eighth, winning 11 to 5.  It was a well-attended game, and we were packed into our seats like sardines.  There was a nice, occasional breeze coming through, enough to cool you off and not make it stifling.

The traffic coming to and in Atlanta was the worst I've experienced.  I cannot see Alison or myself ever living in that.  We have become too used to the less congested traffic of Blackshear and Waycross.   Being with Doug as he ably and decisively maneuvered around traffic, made me grateful that I do not have a heart condition

We saw the movie World War Z.  It was a great action movie, with the large scale effects and action sequences that are best seen at the theater.  It suffered a bit from the "we only care about Brad Pitt and his family as the rest of the world goes to Hell syndrome" but overall was pretty good.

We ate at The Fortune Cookie restaurant, one of the few times in the last couple decades that I've eaten a Chinese restaurant besides Wong's.  The food and service were very good, but it still wasn't Wong's.  I found out that Crab Rangoon is excellent and might be virtually the same thing as Wong's Fried Cheese.

Flying Dragon had a very good weekend, raising enough money to put them back on track.  They will need to continue the efforts as expenses to stay at Tebeau are considerable, and will require much effort over a very long period of time.  Auditions for another Broadway Festival were held and I am told thirty plus tried out, so that part of the future looks very promising.

Today I have an inventory to observe for an audit that we begin.  Part will involve counting items in a deep freezer.  I always get assigned that because I am the crazy Yankee from Michigan.

It was a very enjoyable but hectic weekend, and I look forward to the little Fourth of July mini-break.

Wait.  I forgot.  My grass is high enough to hide a mountain lion, so I guess I know what I'll be doing on the Fourth.

Oh. well.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait



1 comment: