Monday, December 9, 2013

An Unwise Decision Amidst A Fabulous Weekend

A boy and his cake!  Benjamin Strait became a teenager this Saturday, and had a great time with family and friends,



Not all my decisions turn out to be very smart.

A Christmas Carol has a float in the Waycross parade Saturday night.  As Scrooge, I was at the front of the float, delivering a message of Christmas cheer liberally mixed with Bah! Humbugs!  The float behind us had a large dog puppet on-top of a fire engine, singing Christmas carols.  I strived mightily to be heard over the dog.   It is hard for me, when I do something that involves acting, for me to do it halfway So I did everything I could to be heard  by the crowd lining the streets (I had no idea that Waycross had that many people).

The result was as you might expect.  I have been in over fifty plays, and never really worried about laryngitis before.  So guess what happened Sunday afternoon?  No, I was still able to speak, but sometimes it would turn to a high pitched squeak.  I had to work very hard to keep Scrooge from sounding like a Japanese school girl.

Overall, the performances of A Christmas Carol were awesomely good.  It was a great cast, with a wonderful mix of veterans and newbies and everything in-between. The vital message of the play, that each one of us can be a positive force in the lives of our family, friends, work and community, come through as loud and clear as we could make it.  

Even during this busy weekend, we were able to make time for Benjamin's 13th birthday Saturday.  He had some friends over, and we had cake (A DQ ice cream cake made from Chocolate Extreme)  and pizza. So ready or not, Strait household///here come the teenage years!

Until next time,

T. M. Strait



No comments:

Post a Comment