Thursday, December 19, 2013

Where Were You in 2002? Free Speech Pre Duck Dynasty Style

Where were you starting in 2002 and into 2003?  After the Republicans controlled the Presidency, House and Senate?  Took a permanent choke hold on the state of Georgia?

Where were you when the Dixie Chicks were vilified and dehumanized for speaking out early about the Iraq War?  When their careers were being sidelined, boycotted, removed from the air, sponsors cancelled, death threated?  Where were you "free speechers" then?

Where you were when Michael Moore dared to speak out about the Iraq War at the Oscars?  When he was shunned and vilified, and suddenly it was all right for television commentators to wish him dead?  When it was okay for him to be asked in an on air interview questions like how does it feel to be the most hated man in America?  How does it feel to know that there are people who would be happier if he was just dead?

Where were you when I, yes me, Tom Strait, got into trouble because he had the audacity to state in a public place that he was not going to vote for Kay Godwin in 2002?  To know that there were churches in the area who had to debate whether a Democrat could be a Christian at all?

Where were you in 2012 when my son Benjamin was bullied, threatened, and harassed because he dared to say he was for the re-election of President Obama?

I guess freedom of speech standards are different when it's a homophobic racist with a popular television show.


A & E has to think hard if they want to reward this man, whom they have already given a huge pile of money to, and let anyone think they endorse the vile nonsense that spews from his mouth.  Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty (whose name I didn't even know until today), said things about homosexuality and also about African Americans, that were both offensive and patently untrue.  Calling homosexuality a sin akin to bestiality, and that black people were "happy" pre-Civil rights (you know, before they began to feel all "entitled" and such).

It is  A & E's decision.  It is their network.  We can choose to watch or not.  Boycott whatever we choose as consumers - pro or con.   It is not a freedom of speech issue.  We are not entitled to programs on private company networks and say whatever we feel like.  Just ask Phil Donahue, Bill Maher, Martin Bashir, etc.

Let's say I get a job as Associate Pastor in a church that is very conservative Christian, with what they would call traditional views on homosexuals.  Let's say after getting the job there, I do an interview with the local paper where I state that it is my clear view as a Christian that homosexuality is NOT a sin, and that gay marriage should be allowed.  How long do you think that conservative church would keep me as Associate Pastor?  Heck, I might not even be able to sit in it as a congregant!

Let's not jut boycott Duck Dynasty.  Let's boycott ALL reality TV!  We need to stop being voyeurs into the lives of people just because we want to laugh at them, or feel superior to them, or find some weird connection to their values.  People, The Truman Show was a SATIRE!  Don't you get it?

But that is one of those boycotts that is just too easy for me.  I already don't watch reality TV (except for a couple of realty competitions).  I don't want to see bored housewives get drunk and cat fight with each other.  I don't want to see Honey BooBoo get spoiled, or toddlers get tiaras.  I don't care about a real life version of The Beverly Hillbillies.

Enough is enough.

We stand up to a war that was unjustified and immoral, and are practically run out of the country.  This man speaks homophobic and racist nonsense, and all of a sudden it's a big free speech issue.

I try, really I do.  But sometimes people just don't make it easy.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about just getting rid of reality television as a whole. It is all scripted nonsense to give people a good laugh and a false view of the people's lifestyle being show. Also, I agree that way too many people are getting way too bent out of shape over this, and most are being hypocritical about the whole "free speech" argument.

    While we might not share the same political views, it is sad that what you said about the churches is usually true. And I am very sorry to hear that terrible news regarding your son. Both are things that should never happen because of ones views and opinions.

    Regardless of the rest of the blog, I would just like to point out that while Phil may not have stated his feelings in the most proper of terms, if you are a Christian that believes the Bible to be God's spoken word and truth, then you must know that it quite clearly says that being homosexual is a sin. It is regarded as an abomination in the Lord's eyes. I am a Christian, and that is exactly how I view the subject.

    That being said, I do not believe homosexuality to be anymore of a sin that any other one. Whether it is murder, stealing, lusting, drunkenness, or whatever else. I believe that the comment about bestiality was just him comparing it to other sins, and saying that they are all the same. Personally, I do not think homosexuals will go to hell for that reason alone, as long as they believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord. It is no different than a drunk showing up at church every weekend. He should want to do better and live a better Christian lifestyle for the Lord, but if he doesn't and still believes and asks for forgiveness, then he is still saved.

    I don't agree with homosexuality, and I will never support it. But I will never treat anyone that is with anything but respect, and no differently than I would anyone else. I do not personally have a problem with them, just their lifestyle. But I do not judge anyone. I am not perfect by any means, so how could I say something about anyone else? I do wish that more people that called themselves Christians would learn to be more loving and acceptable of others, and not so quick to cast them down or judge them, making themselves hypocrites. But as far as it goes for the country, if we truly are the United States of America, where the church is separate from state and we have so many freedoms to do as we choose, then sure I agree that it should be legal for them if they so desire.

    You may never read this, and you might not agree with me and my views either. But I do know you, and you seem like an intelligent man with common sense, and enough understanding to respect my opinions. If you do read this, then I'd like to hear a response.

    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you comments! I do appreciate them! Again, how A&E wants to deal with Phil Robertson's comments is entirely up to them. It is their company and they have to deal with the consequences one way or another.

    I don not want to minimize what the man said, though. They are about as far removed from any sense of Christianity that I can conceive of. The fact that so many have so little problem with what he said, and dismiss the impact of it bothers me. That includes his remarks on homosexuality, race and women.

    I consider myself a dedicated Christian, and I am convinced the homosexuality is not a sin, and should not be put in the same category as the other sins you mention. Rather than go into great detail here, I will simply refer you to other posts I have written on the subject, including God and Sex, Same Sex Blessing: Struggling With A Vestry Letter, and Marriage Equality for All Adult Loving Couples. I do not expect you to agree, but I did want to give you an opportunity to more closely explore why I might feel that way.

    I do like your attitude about not judging....it is one that the Pope himself has tried to make clear, and is hopefully a path that all Christians, whatever their individual beliefs, will begin to follow more carefully.

    ReplyDelete