Friday, May 9, 2014

History of the Trap: September Rains Part 2

2

I wasn't trying to stalk her.  I swear.
My lunch just happened to coincide with hers.
I couldn't help it if my view of her was good.  It was just an accident in the table I chose.  And it just happened to be the seat that had good sight access to where she was sitting.
But there she was.  Her long blonde hair, her aquiline nose, her beautiful blues eyes enhanced by her glasses.  Was it wrong of me not to want to hold her again? To stroke her hair? To feel those lips one more....
This reverie was doing me no good.  Lisa had shown little interest in wanting to talk to me, or even be near me.  As painful as it was, I struggled to accept it.
She sat at a table with some of the other nursing staff, kids who were learning fast about medical care and how best to help with the aches and pains and contusions we were subject to.  At the center of the group's conversation was Morgan LaDonna Tigh.  You could even see from the distance  it was all revolving around her.  She laughed regally, her auburn hair flashing around as she turned from one person to another.  Everyone was smiling and responding to her, even Lisa. 
Two of Morgan's closest friends were also at the table with them, Amy James and Karen Gellenraad.  Amy was tall and willowy, long brown hair that was a dusky blonde at the ends.  Many of the girls were turning to their original color as commercial hair dye was something that never was really in the trap.  There was a small amount in Home Ec, but that was gone in the first month. Karen, whose parents were first-generation Dutch, and Lisa were natural blondes and maintained their coloring.  There were two other girls at the table of whom I was less familiar with, and who they were escapes me now. 
Our people with medical experience were highly limited.  The school Nurse, Carolyn Justin, was probably our most experienced, having attended one year of medical school.  One of the biggest boons, as a result, is that she had a number of medical texts in her office.  Another teacher, Ronald Courson, had been an ER technician a few years before taking up teaching.  Miss Ellen Symms, the health teacher, kicked in with what she knew.  But we had no qualified doctors, and the medical staff did the best they could.
We had very few crippling injuries.  We had a lot more that died or disappeared then ended up maimed.  We had had some minor cold and flu outbreaks, but none extensive, and nothing life-threatening.  The biggest crisis was with the injuries surrounding the tunnel collapse, with Nathan Harkin winding up with crushed legs, and now dependent on crutches.  Roger Tomlin had his arm in sling, but that was on the verge of healing, and it should be not needed soon.
The latest shift in tunnel access resulted in the discovery of basic medical supplies - bandages, penicillin, disinfectants, and pain relievers.  There was nothing to help those who needed regular medication for such things as diabetes, epilepsy and blood pressure.  We had lost an elderly teacher, English teacher Gary Donaldson, just last week due to a suspected heart attack, and it probably was related to his loss of blood pressure medication.  Grace Kelman hurt herself in a Grand Mal seizure, but she did survive.
I could not hear what Morgan's group were saying.  Just that they were laughing and having a good time.  That actually made my heart glad, to see Lisa happy.  As much as I missed her, it was more important to me that she be okay.
Mark Granite came up behind Morgan, and put his hands around her eyes.  She gave a squeal of delight, and turned around to kiss him.  Behind Mark Granite was Robert Pelley, standing in his sneering glory, stringy black hair dangling partially in his face, adding to his menacing aura.  It was disconcerting to see our star athlete associated with such lowlife scum, but what did I know?  I certainly wasn't part of their circle. 
Robert Pelley hung back, and in my mind, he was leering at Lisa.  My stomach churned and my head spun.  Lisa turned away from his glare and saw me.  I shrunk down a bit, and tried to give a weak smile.  She looked back at me with a slight frown.
Mark took Morgan and they went off, the girls giggling (except Lisa, who looked distressed) as the two walked off hand in hand.  Thankfully, after giving Lisa a jagged smile, Robert took off after Mark and Morgan. 
Lisa came over to my table.  I wanted to get up, but my heart was pounding and I feared I was visibly shaking.  She stood in front of me, looking very serious.  It seemed she was looking at me for minutes, but it was only a few seconds. 
I started to say something, then though better of it. 
Finally, she spoke.
"Pick another lunch hour, Lance.  It will make things easier."

And then she walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment