Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tom Terrific Tuesday Tidbits

Today's blog title is brought to you by...stuff and nonsense!  It signifies nothing except to stand out a bit....as we roll on with Tuesday Tidbits!

------------------------

Saw another movie on it's first weekend!  Godzilla!  Great special effects - the toy buildings they knock down look realer than ever!  The movie wasn't terrible, but it was more cheesy than I thought, and the main rationale that Godzilla might be a kind of quasi-hero never really caught fire with me.  I was hoping for more Walter White vs. Godzilla one-on-one, but alas, that was fairly minimal.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ethan, our foster dog, begins heart-worm  treatment today.  That's means more restricted movement for the dog, having gone through eight weeks or more of restrictions recovering from having his leg shot and his throat slit.  Amazing how sweet and loving this dog has remained through all of his adversity.  He will make someone the best companion they could wish for, and no dog on the planet deserves it more than Ethan.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

I don't know if I'm supposed to say this aloud, so I'll be as quiet and as brief as possible.  I report to jury duty today.  This will be the first time in my life I have done so.  I have very little idea what to expect.  Everything I know about it is from shows like Perry Mason and Matlock,  So I'm probably in for some surprises.

*************************

Speaking of civic responsibilities, I am also voting today.  The Georgia primary is today, and I will be voting on the Democratic ballot.  Since this area is 85% plus Republican, I'll be lucky if they even give me the right ballot (don't laugh - it's happened before).  There will be many races where I won't get to vote because there is not a single Democrat running.  Others the Democrat is running unopposed, like Jason Carter for Governor, and I tend not to vote for unopposed candidates. For the U.S. Senate I will vote for Steen Miles, as she has offered the most full-throated support of the Affordable Health Care Act.  Yes, fellow progressives, I will vote for Michelle Nunn in the Fall, but I am less than thrilled with her blue dog conservatism.  For Congress I'll vote for Brian Reese - he seems to be best equipped to handle the Fall race.  I do not get to vote for Georgia State Senator  or Georgia State Representative as there is no Democrat running.  IN FACT, the Republican incumbents have no opposition in their own party, so they are re-elected by coronation!  Ain't democracy grand?  And to think that we used to make fum of the elections in the Soviet Union!  Well, I guess the joke is on us, eh?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Speaking of quixotic journeys, my quest to get comic companies to adopt whole numbers in their indicia continues to fall on deaf ears. --------------  Now, if any of you understood the last sentence, please raise your hands. ----------------- Sigh.  That's what I thought.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My writing has been slightly accelerated, putting out a bit more stuff on the weekends.  I did an important corner-turning chapter of the Crowley Stories, putting it close enough where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It did receive some criticism that may cause a rewrite this weekend, but also made me realize that it may no longer be fair to promote these as independent short stories.  It is still true that plot-wise, it's possible for the stories to be read independently, but to get the full flavor of the characters and their world and their motivations, you really do need to read them all.  My bad.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A reminder that it is time once again for the Ripping Good Yarns TV awards, and all nominations are GREATLY encouraged and hoped for.  This will be the third year of the awards!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Which also reminds me...Ripping Good Yarns is designed to be a safe haven where people can talk about movies, TV, books, comics, fictional storytelling of all kinds, without having to worry about those coming in to diss you for wasting time on doing any of those.  So people who prefer one medium over another need to be respectful of those who prefer a different medium.  Me?  I'm like Benjamin with Pokemon - gotta catch them all!

################################

Which even further reminds me...traffic to the Ripping Good Yarns group is really slumping...part may be a lack of interest, but I think even more of it has to do with how Facebook is designed now.  If you don't visit a group for awhile, Facebook will bury their posts deeper and deeper.  So I will have to figure out a strategy to unbury them  Wish me luck.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am tidbitted out.  At least for now.  Have a bright and beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment