Saturday, May 31, 2014

History of the Trap: September Rains Part 6

6

I shouldn't have been there.  Nosing around where I didn't belong.  She had a right to her own life without me looking over her shoulder.  I tried to tell myself it was just an easy place to sit down and do some reading.  Nothing intrusive about it.  The fact that it was in and around the time her shift ended was merely coincidental. 
I normally had a fiction book, but I had been through much of it already.  Instead I had a book on World Humanities.  Dad had decided, after much faculty discussion, that we would move on to a new school year.  It wouldn't start until next week, which was already the third week in September, and the new school year usually started right after Labor Day.
This would make me Senior, I guess.  I'm not sure what that made last year's seniors, but my Dad had a schedule of courses for them, anyways.  He promised if we were still trapped by December, he would have a graduation ceremony for them.
"What are you doing, Lance?"  I looked up from my book, and shook off  the internal musing that was consuming me, and I saw her.  Lisa Carlton,  looking as pretty as ever, her blonde hair clean and long, but styled slightly different, with a little more curl and bounce, probably the doings and influence of Morgan and her friends..  She did, however, looked tired, with her eyes reflecting a weary sadness.
"I...I...I'm uh....," I stuttered, as elegant with the ladies as ever.  The same guy who could write romantic dialogue for The Sands of Loren could barely croak out a few coherent words to a girl he really liked.  "...j-just thought I'd get an advance look at the World Humanities text."
"Oh, I'm not taking that.  I've completed my language art requirements and am concentrating on science and math."  If I didn't know better, I'd almost say she sounded disappointed. "And you?  You just decided to review the book here; right about the time my shift ends?"
"Oh....yeah.  I guess so.  I mean, well, we are right next to the library."  The library had been divided now, with half of its space being used by the medical center.
"It's all right.  I don't mind." She sat down in a chair near me, one where we were facing each other. "I have to admit.  I'm not completely unhappy to see you."
Not a ringing endorsement.  But at this point, I would certainly take it.  "Me too," I answered, maybe a little too intensely. "Well, I mean. I'm really not completely unhappy to see you either."
She smiled a fleeting, tiny upturn of the mouth, but a smile nonetheless.  She told me a bit about her work, and what it was like to be around Morgan and her friends.  "They're a little shallow, not like, well...you know.  They mean well.  It's just hard to talk to them about....some things."  I'm sure that was true.  She was such good friends with Sue, I'm sure they shared a lot.  And for a few weeks there, she and I had opened up to each other quite a bit.  "And the boys around them...."  She paused, as if searching what to say next.  "...well...they're not the type of boys I'm used to."
That made me feel uneasy.  I asked her what she meant, but she refused to clarify.  I should have pushed her harder on that, but I did not.  I didn't want to scare her off.
She asked how I was doing, and I told her about my misadventures with recreational basketball.  That caused a brief burst of hearty laughter, which warmed my heart greatly to see. 
Then she suddenly got quiet.  We sat there for almost a minute.  I started to reach my hand out to her hand, but she pulled away slightly.  "I don't want you to get the wrong idea.  I still am not ready for a lot of things.  I miss Daniel, and still think about him."  Daniel was the name of her boyfriend who attended Huron University.  We all had family and friends on the outside, and every day that passed made us more aware that we may never see any of them again.
She started to tear up, and said, very quietly, "I miss Sue."  My heart was breaking for her.  She got up, looked down at me, and then leaned into my ear, and whispered, "I miss you, too."

My world froze, and by the time I could react, she was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment