Friday, May 23, 2014

History of the Trap: September Rains Part 4

4

The big football game was scheduled for the end of the month.  Many were pushing for a series of games, but my Dad insisted that we just needed to see how the first game went first.
The hullabaloo over the football game ate up most of our on-air programming at the TV studio, enough so that new airings of The Sands of Loren were postponed at least until it was over.  I was relieved in that I was not in a particular frame of mind to write anyway.  Lisa's leaving me had left me dispirited and confused. 
I needed something to occupy my time that didn't cause me to think so much.  Phil Irman, my TV studio friend, had a suggestion that I don't think I would have taken up under any other circumstances.  He suggested basketball.
We had two levels of basketball.  The "major leagues" were a set of six teams that competed in kind of a league play.  They had one competition already, in which Phil's team, the Tigers, finished second to the mighty Wolverines.  These teams had popular, well attended games, and had each developed their own fandoms.  I was Team Phil, all the way.  I loved watching a fellow short person swoop and up and down the court, and make shots from impossible distances, Phil was a point guard and had excellent dribbling, passing and shooting skills.
The second level was almost two dozen recreational teams that played for the fun of it.  Many of the players for the major leagues also got additional practice playing in the recreational leagues.  I was privileged to be invited onto the recreational team that Phil practiced with, the Gazelles (kind of a joke name for a team featuring Phil and some of the other shorter players).  I didn't think I could in any way help, but I was honored that Phil thought of me, and it was a good way to get me refocused, at least for the times we practiced and played.
I was truly horrible at it, but Phil, bless him, didn't seem to mind.  He made practices fun, and no one seemed bothered by my incompetence.  I flew up and down the court, with little meaning or purpose.  Phil tried to pass me the ball sometimes, but I would only catch about a third of the time.  It was often intercepted, or I just missed it altogether.  When I did catch it, I would as often as not pass it to the wrong person or throw it out of bounds.  The few times I took a shot, I did not so much as even hit the rim or the backboard.
It's not that I had never played basketball before.  My Dad had put a goal up on our garage, and I played with neighbor kids.  I had reached my full, glorious height of 5'8" back in Seventh grade, so I did have being taller than the kids going for me.  So occasionally I could rebound and shoot close in.  The neighborhood kids that were athletic would come over and impose teams composed of the athletic versus the uncoordinated, which I was always on.  We would always get tromped, like the Washington Generals playing the Harlem Globetrotters.   One of those boys was Daryl Deen, a rough spirited bully a year older than me.  He was several inches shorter than me at the time, and loved just forcibly pulling the ball away from me.  We were constantly called for fouls no matter how light or incidental our contact.  They, on the other hand,  were practically knocking us to the ground, but would never accept a foul call.
Now Daryl was taller than me.  And still as mean and bullying as he ever was.  And he was also on the second team we played, the Lookout Mountains.  I hoped that Phil would not put me out there at the same time as Daryl.
My hopes were dashed early in the fourth quarter, when Phil sent me out so that he could take a much needed breather.  He knew what he was doing.  I had talked to him about Daryl before.  When he tagged me in, he said he just had to take a rest for a few minutes, and when I protested, he said it was time to face my fears.  That I had to show this guy that he couldn't push me around.
Reluctantly, I agreed.  Daryl had grown taller than me, but not by much.  He was also thicker around the middle, but that just made him more intimidating.  He was now a guard, and I was a guard, so I guess we were matched up.
I had trouble just keeping up with him.  Unlike Artie, my cross-country running best friend, I had developed very little stamina.  I had lost a little of my pudge since the Trap fell, but not enough to be that noticeable, or put me in better physical condition.  With all of Lisa's attention until recently, I had forgotten just how physically unattractive I was, or at least felt.  My acne had substantially cleared up, but that and a few pounds didn't make much difference.  Daryl was darting around with increasingly little effort.  The other Gazelle guard took point guard responsibilities, and I had little to do but try to guard Daryl.
After three minutes of play, I was trying to guard Daryl as he brought the ball down the court.  I could tell he was getting ready to push past me, when on impulse I said, "Hey, look over there!"  To my surprise, he actually looked!  It gave me a second to steal the ball from him mid-dribble. 
Phil jumped off the bleachers, cheering, as did the rest of the Gazelles, and a small handful of people watching the game.  I charged towards the basket, heading for an easy layup, ready for one time in my life to be a sports hero.  I tossed the ball up.  It teased along the rim, and looked like it was going to fall in.  For an eternity it spun, not a sound was heard in the place as everyone held their breath.  The ball finally fell off the rim, but not into the basket.  It was falling off the side.  There was going to be rebound!  Only Daryl and I were near it!  I girded myself for the rebound, and was ready to make the greatest leap of my life!  Which I, of course, mistimed, Daryl reaching past my outstretched arms to grab the ball.  As he came back down with the ball, he elbowed me on the nose.  Hard.
I stood there in a daze, barely able to move, as the ball was swept up to the other end of the court, where the Lookout Mountains made an easy two points.  Daryl turned back and laughed at me.  "Ha!  Look at Marty Martian!  He looks like he's in space!"
Phil came out and gently led me to the bench.  "S-sorry, Phil.  I hope...I hope I...didn't bleed on the court," I babbled, feeling the blood swell up around my nose.
"That was great, Lance!" assured Phil Irman.  "I'll never forget how you stole that ball.  That was the stuff of legends!"
Phil was a great guy, even making me feel good in the face of such humiliation.   Daryl and team continued to catcall, until the ref, teacher Simon Franklin, got them to calm down. 
"Forget him!" said another teammate.
"Yeah, forget him," Phil said.  "And the hobby horse he rode in on!"
The game resumed once it was determined that I was just badly bruised,  the blood pooling in my nose but not spurting out.
Phil went back into the game, and rallied our team with just enough points to edge them out.  Phil fouled Daryl once, almost knocking him to the ground.  There was some urging by the Mountains to call a technical, but the ref decided not to let the game get out of hand.
I continued to play basketball off and on, as long as it was offered in the Trap, and eventually I did get a little better at it.  But no moment beat that moment, when Lance 'Marty Martian' stole the ball from Darryl Deen.
And that's my one personal sports story that I have to tell.  Any other sports stories I have to tell will be about other people.

I hope you enjoyed it, Doctor Duncan.

No comments:

Post a Comment