Monday, October 1, 2018

Big Box Monday Musings



So, what do you think?  Starting off with a picture of a name-brand retailer, you think maybe I can get some advertising dollars?  Or, more likely, you think I'll get sued?  I guess it may depend on what I say.  Most likely, I fly so under the radar no one will notice one way or another.

We finally broke down and joined.  I really would have preferred Costco, but I've given up on them ever being close enough to us to make it worthwhile.  Are Sam's Club workers grotesquely underpaid?  Yes, I'm sure they are - almost all retail workers are.  Boycotts don't help.  Unionization of service workers is the best solution.  I'm not sure what my actions do to encourage that or not.

Politics aside, we joined (through a connection that Alison had), and proceeded to explore the whole store.  The prices seemed to be ok - I'm not a real expert on evaluating that.  I'm most familiar with books, and most of the books didn't seem to be as well-priced as the bargain books you can find at Books-A-Million.  And the book selection was minimal, with a predominant amount of books centered on appeal to right-wingers.

The quantities you could buy were humongous.  We got snacks, like dozens of Cheezit packages and tons of chips, enough to last Benjamin until he goes off to college next Fall.  Alison got 200 sticks of Big Red Gum.  I got a jar of peanuts the size of a zip code.  Our buggy quickly filled up. 

We could have gotten more stuff, but we would have needed a bigger car,  And once we got it home, we would have needed a bigger house.  Are y'all sure this is a way to save money?

It was good to get out Saturday.  I had been tied to Waycross for many weeks with play rehearsals.  Brunswick was a significant change of pace, and it was good to get away with Alison, as we left Benjamin home to do homework, and prepare for a Dungeons & Dragons session.  We also visited Books-A-Million and Target, and had lupper at The Marshside Grill (they make an excellent Steak Sandwich).

I'm trying desperately to restrain my eating, so I only ate half my sandwich.  It was difficult staring at that delicious food, and the waiter was taking a great deal of time getting back to us so we could box up our leftovers and check out, but I made it!  Surprisingly, an hour later I felt full even though I had eaten less.  Don't get too excited.  It's a long journey, and I am currently very overweight.

-------------------

Sports was kind of a bummer this weekend.  Atlanta United lost a crucial game to the New York Red Bulls.  Atlanta will still make the playoffs, but it may be an unfortunate precursor to a potential matchup with the Red Bulls should they be rematched in the playoffs.  Atlanta United is a great team, but they have to be more flexible in their adapting their style of play to the adjustments the opposing team makes.

College football was okay, with Georgia winning decisively, and Michigan squeezing one out by the hair of a field goal.  If nothing else, the Wolverines showed a capacity to come from behind I have not often seen, trailing 17-0, and then reeling off the next 20 points to win 20-17.

Not showing the ability to win the close ones were my pro teams, Atlanta and Detroit.  Falcons lost to the Bengals 37 - 36, and Detroit to the Cowboys 26 - 24.  This may be another very long year.

--------------------------

You'll need to read some of my other blog stories to see what I think of the Kavanaugh hearings.  I don't know, Trumpeteers.  It seems a pretty high price to pay to strip women of their reproductive rights.  Especially since you have a whole ream of qualified judges that would do it for you.  Do you really need this partisan hack, this entitled representative of everything that is wrong with a cruel patriarchy, this drunken liar, this person who is mainly there because Trump believes he will make sure that he is not indicted and can get Mueller off his back?  Is it worth it to you to diminish and debase the Supreme Court, the one branch that we are at least supposed to pretend is above the everyday passions of political extremism? 

And yeah, I believe her.  100%.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait













No comments:

Post a Comment